Building a Large RGB Video Wall

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jusbour

Building a Large RGB Video Wall

Post by jusbour »

Hi! I want to build a see thru RGB LED video wall. You may have seen something simular to what I want to build in Apple's retail Christmas display, and I believe currently for their Macintosh 30th Anniversary displays. I want to drive it with the driver boards in the Adafruit shop located here: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1453, but the problem lies in the matrices, I cannot find - ANYWHERE - see thru RGB matrices. It is for this reason that I decided to individually solder each and every LED my self (I like to spread out and make my projects last :D ). My problem is that I don't know what chipset of led controller IC to use and what the pinout is. I hope you can help me. I don't think that I'm doing something stupid, but I am probably biting off more than I can swallow.

Let me give you some more specs I want to use:
Raspberry Pi to send video
9ft by 9ft.
370x180 pixels for 2.77 ppi

Thanks!

ProfOrtho

Smaller outdoor Re: Building a Large RGB Video Wall

Post by ProfOrtho »

jusbour wrote:Hi! I want to build a see thru RGB LED video wall. You may have seen something simular to what I want to build in Apple's retail Christmas display, and I believe currently for their Macintosh 30th Anniversary displays. I want to drive it with the driver boards in the Adafruit shop located here: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1453, but the problem lies in the matrices, I cannot find - ANYWHERE - see thru RGB matrices. It is for this reason that I decided to individually solder each and every LED my self (I like to spread out and make my projects last :D ). My problem is that I don't know what chipset of led controller IC to use and what the pinout is. I hope you can help me. I don't think that I'm doing something stupid, but I am probably biting off more than I can swallow.

Let me give you some more specs I want to use:
Raspberry Pi to send video
9ft by 9ft.
370x180 pixels for 2.77 ppi

Thanks!
Would you please help me build a small 13 inch by 66 inch outdoor LED. This is for a tiny struggling Mom and Pop Shop so cost is key. My labor for this project to them is free.

1chicagodave

Re: Building a Large RGB Video Wall

Post by 1chicagodave »

I had to search through google to find a photo of this....never seen it before.
Annotated
Annotated
image.jpg (252.13 KiB) Viewed 421 times
I'm sure they were custom made with nice thin tubes/supports, but It almost looks just like a bunch of these, inside tubes, strung up like venetian blinds.
12mm diffused
12mm diffused
image.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 421 times
You can see in the first photo that the 'data line' snakes through the 'blinds' (yellow). And the supports (green) could be purely mechanical....or extra power/ground lines.

That's probably how I'd replicate it, too. Get some plastic shower rod covers (or wire-wrap cord-hider thingies), drill holes in them, poke the "bulb" part of the pixels through, and tie them together. And, run them all with an Arduino, Teensy, or these new boards -
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1689

Good luck!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”