Arcade joysticks & buttons for Retropie project

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tasso_m

Arcade joysticks & buttons for Retropie project

Post by tasso_m »

Hi, I'm a newbie with your products. I have installed Retropie (petrockblock.com) on a raspberry pi and got my usb controller configured and it works great. My next step is to build my own Vintage arcade cabinet with 2 joystick (ID: 480) and 18 buttons (ID: 473). From what i read on the internet i will need to expand my gpio on a breadboard (i already have 2 Perma-Proto 1/2 sized) to be able to add them all. Can you give me a list of things I need to order to get this running (material & additional software component to install in the pi)?

Thank you very much!
Last edited by tasso_m on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin97355

Re: Arcade joysticks & buttons for Retropie project

Post by Franklin97355 »

It would help if you could draw up a picture of what you want to connect and how you plan to connect it.

tasso_m

Post by tasso_m »

I would like to build something like this :

http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/kontrolpanel2.jpg

As far as connecting the buttons, I'm not sure how to proceed as this is my first time. From what I understand each button has to be connected to a gpio pin and a gnd pin. All good advices are welcomed! Thanks to all!

Should I consider using control panel such as iPac-2 or X-Arcade or any USB interface for this project?

egutting

Post by egutting »

18 buttons & 2 joysticks (1 joystick alone is 4 pins & a ground) is going to take A LOT of pins! Look at the games you would like to play on it and make sure it can run them (some games do not run well on the Pi). Find out how many buttons you need for these games and start planning for that.

If you're dead set on the whole 18 buttons and 2 joysticks, I would look at another avenue then plugging them into the GPIO.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”