BeagleBone Black Cluster

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brandeal

BeagleBone Black Cluster

Post by brandeal »

you have any suggestions for a BBBCluster?
I'm interested in building it and understand its advantages for hosting any WP websites....
thank you!

splatten

Re: BeagleBone Black Cluster

Post by splatten »

Not sure if this is what you are after, I have two Beaglebone Blacks, connected to each other via two serial ports. They use the serial links to exchange a heartbeat between them. I then wrote my own floating I/P manager in Java that allows both units to share a single I/P address that is assigned to one unit at a time, if that unit fails then the other takes over promoting itself to use the same I/P address.

This works really well, and I also have mySQL installed on both configured for high availability multi-master mode, each Beaglebone Black has a 32Gb USB stick. The databases are in perfect sync. from the outside world I just point the browser or application to the I/P address assigned to the cluster and it works.

There are off the shelf open-source solutions available for managing floating I/P's and clusters, which I did look into, but after a couple of weeks of banging my head against a wall, trying to get them to compile and understand why something which turned out to be so simple, took such a huge amount of code in the open-source version.

The thinking behind using two serial ports was to be sure that one and only one unit was online and healthy, to ensure that the cluster did not use the same I/P at any time.

I hope this is along the lines of what you were looking for.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”