Came up with an electronic idea last night

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mbs213

Came up with an electronic idea last night

Post by mbs213 »

I wanted to talk to some engineers about how I could go about creating this device. I think it could actually revolutionize what we have now in terms of simple wireless connectivity. Would love to get some help on this and talk it out with someone. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

mbs213

Re: Came up with an electronic idea last night

Post by mbs213 »

I guess in terms of building and designing it is where I would need help and that is where you geniuses would come into play :)

mbs213

Post by mbs213 »

is there a way you can get the jack part of the aux cable by itself or do you need to dismantle it from the cable itself?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Which cable specifically are you referring to? (post a link)
If we don't have them, most cable connectors are available as separate parts from the major electronics suppliers (Mouser Digikey etc)

mbs213

Post by mbs213 »

mbs213

Post by mbs213 »

I think this is what I'm looking for Image

mbs213

Post by mbs213 »

can I buy just this component?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The link and the picture are two different things. Do you want the jacks or the coax cable (which will not connect to the jacks you linked to) Just what is it you are trying to do ? As Bill said you can get these components from many electronics suppliers.

mbs213

Post by mbs213 »

aw okay. whats the difference between the jack and the coax cable? I assume you can buy those separately.

mbs213

Post by mbs213 »

I want to be able to get the part that is just the end of the aux cable that you hook up in your car into the jack. thank you.
i don't know the specific names, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Adafruit sells this breadboard friendly 3.5mm phono jack for connecting the 3 wire cable used for headphones: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1699.

If your cable is 2.5mm, you can get 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapters at most electronics/audio stores.

If you live in the USA, and still have an operating Radio Shack near by, you can get various phono connectors (2.5mm vs. 3.5mm, 2/3/4 wires, male/female, panel mount/soldered wires, etc.) there in the gray cabinets they have in the back with components. Some RS clerks are helpful and know about the various components that they sell, but unfortunately not all are. Now, if you are buying 10s of these connectors, it might be cheaper to go to ebay, but if you are buying a single connector, it is faster and may be cheaper considering shipping costs, to buy it locally.

When all else fails, you can always slice open a cable.

However, from the question, I suspect you may have a long hard slog ahead of you, as you will need to learn various other things to do the connection, than just the cable. If you have one, it may be better to find a local maker space that has people who dabble in electronics to bounce ideas off of.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”