Using an Adafruit 16x2 LCD Shield with a 4x4 Driver Shield (

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_newbie

Using an Adafruit 16x2 LCD Shield with a 4x4 Driver Shield (

Post by adafruit_newbie »

I want to use an LCD display screen with my Arduino Uno for a standalone project. However, the project also requires a 4x4 driver shield that sits atop the Arduino and provides 16 OUTPUTS of 12V to solenoid relays. If I can't physically access the Analog & 5V pins needed for the LCD shield, is it possible to operate the LCD in the same system as the 4x4?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using an Adafruit 16x2 LCD Shield with a 4x4 Driver Shie

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can build the 4x4 shield with stacking headers and stack the display on top. https://www.adafruit.com/products/85

Or you can connect wires for SDA, SCL, +5v and GND and operate the display shield detached.

adafruit_newbie

I have purchased the stacking headers (thanks!) and have a question...should the long pins be attached to both shields? The 4x4 driver shield has to be attached to the Arduino first, so that the LCD can be viewed above the stacked microcontroller setup...however there is a DB25 pin connector with wires attaching the 4x4 to a system of solenoid relays. This makes the height of the 4x4 fairly significant. Should I use other, smaller headers attached to the LCD until the longer headers will fit through this stack and the 4x4?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Hard to say without seeing the actual device. You could probably do stacking headers on the LCD shield, but look out for interference with the LCD module itself.
Another possibility is to just use an extra set of stacking headers between the shields as extenders.
And yet another approach is to build the LCD shield without headers and mount it remotely. You only need wires for GND, +5v, SDA and SCL.

adafruit_newbie

Do you know how it would be possible to mount it remotely, if the 4x4 has pins attached to every header on the Arduino? This would be the best option, however I am confused about how to attach wires to Arduino pins that already have headers inserted.

adafruit_support_bill

Not sure about your 4x4 shield, but many of our shields have rows of signal breakout holes next to the headers for that purpose.

Other options would be to add a proto-shield with stacking headers or awing sheild between the arduino and the 4x4.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/51
https://www.adafruit.com/products/196

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”