Question on peristaltic pump

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eexperimenter

Question on peristaltic pump

Post by eexperimenter »

Hello,

I would like to know what pressure the peristaltic pump can generate (both suction and discharge).
Also would like to know typical leak rates when pump is not running for a variety of differential pressures.
The part listed is: PRODUCT ID: 1150

Thanks,
Chris

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Question on peristaltic pump

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We don't have any manufacturer's specs on this. In my experiments, it would reliably pump 5' - either pulling or pushing. I did not test for leakage.

D_Vee

Re: Question on peristaltic pump

Post by D_Vee »

I came across a video of a guy testing this pump and he found a max pressure of 1.8 bar which I believe is about 60 feet of water (uncommon unit of pressure). The link is here: http://youtu.be/kXD4QhwEY-w?t=4m44s. If you watch earlier in the video the tube actually pops off due to the pressure.

I don't know what the steady pressure the pump can hold would be. If it was trying to suck that amount of pressure I would be worried about the silicone tube collapsing. I used pumps nearly identical to these in a robotic bartender project and when doing my own rough testing, changing the height the pump was working against, within a foot or two, didn't change the flow rate by any measurable amount. After leaving the pump tubes filled with fluid for a few days they didn't seem to lose a drop.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”