Adafruit Motorshield and beyond!

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
abalducci

Adafruit Motorshield and beyond!

Post by abalducci »

About a year ago I purchased and hand-assembled a Rev A Adafruit Motorshield purchased from Microcenter right near MIT (Ada has been my idol since 'Wave Bubble' and the early days of my own personal exploration in the electronics field! I feel she has made not only a vital contribution to the community in general, but inspired many of us to 'keep learning, keep dreaming' in the long hours after formal schooling has ended) that I have been successfully been using to test and prototype various design solutions. However I've reached the point in my designs where I need to take the next 'conceptual leap' to higher voltage motors than the board itself can handle.

In particular, I've been looking at Sanyo-Denki T-Series high-power servo motor line: http://www.sanyo-denki.com/Data/Servo/catalogs/T.pdf. Obviously, they have a dedicated controller board on offer, but it is both expensive and not well suited to embedded applications. Thus my first question is what line/manufactuer of ICs might I look at for controlling such applications ?

And second, [though asked from a slightly different angle, referring to steppers and not servos] those of us that have had the opportunity a bit to dig around in real-world products have undoubtedly seen one of these large, dedicated 'stepper-motor/chopping' style devicesImage. Obviously these setups, in part, seek to be 'all solutions to all people' but without tearing one apart myself I sense some technical gap here between a micro-controller driven shield like Ada offers, and these other off the shelf solutions-- Only I am not quite sure what that gap is (perhaps only perception, 'old tech' versus 'new' ?).

Further, I know, fundamentally Adafruit Ind is driven by selling product/boards, not simply information, but a thought in my mind relates to extensions to the 'Learning System', where one might offer suggestions to carry the product further, either by suggesting particular chips that might be used or additional development concepts, much like exercises. I've learned, generally, the electronics industry is not quite like many others ('Not in stock... For *4 months?!*'), and if you want to prototype something as an individual person it is rather like composing a Titanic of the mind. However, like Amazon offer's site holder's kick backs for referencing sales purchased via references to their site, I don't quite see how some major distributor would object to this concept [Though whether or not they are setup for it is another matter].

In any case, those are my questions, and thoughts. Some of us are still 'shy on camera'!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit Motorshield and beyond!

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Serious industrial servo controllers (not the 'toy' RC variety) tend to be pricey things. They need to be matched to the motor, so they are usually sold as a system. There is a fair amount of engineering behind it, but the basic parts are out there. BLDC driver ICs are available from TI, ST and others. I've seen Atmega processors used in a a few industrial grade controllers also.

The gap between industrial stepper controllers and the ubiquitous L293D (and similar chips) is starting to get filled in by units designed for small-scale DIY CNC projects. The Syntetos boards we have in the store are a good example of that. Also check the breakout module sold by Pololu.

That's my engineer's 2 cents worth. I'll let someone else speak to the business aspects.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”