Energy Harvesting

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zatamite

Energy Harvesting

Post by zatamite »

Recently I have been reading some fascinating articles on the new batch Energy Harvesting chips. Looks like TI, ST microelectronics, and Maxim all have some pretty impressive chips for harvesting TEG PVa and Piezoelectric energy. Would love, love, love!! to see a Lady Ada engineered breakout-board that makes the chip-sets a bit more user friendly. Thermo Electric Generators coupled with an energy-harvesting chip seem especially compatible with the Adafruit 3v Gemma and trinket lines. Creating DC out of your body heat... well thats just peachy keen. Love your products. They make me happy. Oh... and the question is. Anything like this in the works?
Cheers
Peter.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Energy Harvesting

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will forward it to the design team.

zatamite

Post by zatamite »

Thanks. I think I posted this to the wrong page. Sorry about that. I was trying to post this as a question for the Ask an Engineer Show.
Cheers
Peter.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'll move it there!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

zatamite wrote:Recently I have been reading some fascinating articles on the new batch Energy Harvesting chips. Looks like TI, ST microelectronics, and Maxim all have some pretty impressive chips for harvesting TEG PVa and Piezoelectric energy. Would love, love, love!! to see a Lady Ada engineered breakout-board that makes the chip-sets a bit more user friendly. Thermo Electric Generators coupled with an energy-harvesting chip seem especially compatible with the Adafruit 3v Gemma and trinket lines. Creating DC out of your body heat... well thats just peachy keen. Love your products. They make me happy. Oh... and the question is. Anything like this in the works?
Cheers
Peter.
thanks for the suggestion. the issue with these 'energy harvesting chips' is that the energy harvested is extremely low, so you have customize your design to run on the uW involved. the harvester also has to be specifically tuned for the TEG/Piezo module. So in the end, either you have something generic that doesn't work great, or you have something so specific, it's only good for like 4 people. that's why we haven't found a good solution to carry yet :)

zatamite

Post by zatamite »

Thanks for the reply.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”