Multiple 16x32 RGB LED matrix panel

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DrWizard

Re: Multiple 16x32 RGB LED matrix panel

Post by DrWizard »

I wanted to be able to use 2 32x32 panels with a Texas Instruments Connected Launchpad. I made a deal with user named Michael on the Stellaris forums that I would buy him a panel if he would help me convert the library. He did, and used #ifdef's for the platform dependent code, so his new version of the library works on the TI Launchpad and also still compiles and works on the Arduino. Although I have been using my panels mainly with the launchpad, I have successfully used and tested 2 32x32 panels connected to an Arduino Mega, with and without double buffering. It might even support 3 panels. He added one more parameter to the constructor which is the number of panels. He's still working on it, but it compiles and runs and is usable as it currently is. He branched the code on github and you can find it here:https://github.com/ecdr/RGB-matrix-Panel/tree/tiva

Beware: As others have mentioned, it does really tax the Arduino, and eats most of the clock cycles. If your sketch does anything else very complicated, the display will flicker. It runs great on the TI Connected Launchpad which has plenty of horsepower with a 120MHz 32-bit ARM processor, and it only costs $20!

djdanielb

Post by djdanielb »

PhycoDogdge read here
I followed this guide and works perfctly

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22521&start=15

PyschoDodge

Post by PyschoDodge »

Hey Drwizard, do you have any pictures of how you have everything wired up. I looked at Texas Instruments Connected Lauchpad and for $20 dollars, thats cool technology. If I can get hook this up with my Arduino Uno, that would be cool and plus something to learn.

DrWizard

Post by DrWizard »

For Arduino, I mainly used a Mega2560 because it has more memory, and I used the pinout recommended by Adafruit. I also ran it with an Uno though and had something like 2K left. Mega and Uno both run at the same speed, 16MHz. On the launchpad, I tried but could not run it all from one connector, because the color data lines all have to be on the upper 6 bits of the same port, and on the launchpad the port groups are scattered all across all 4 connectors. I did get all but 2 color lines and a ground off one connector, and the remainder off another so that wasn't so bad. I love Arduinos but the TI Connected Launchpad is a LOT more horsepower for just a few bucks more. 32 bit, much faster, more memory, more I/O, Ethernet, and built-in floating-point support. Then again, for a lot of projects I don't need that power and a Arduino works fine. For these RGB-Matrix panels and having to be constantly manually refreshed, you need a controller with plenty of speed and power.

Attached is gif with all my wiring for different platforms.
Attachments
RGB-Matrix Wiring.gif
RGB-Matrix Wiring.gif (43.85 KiB) Viewed 1682 times

djdanielb

Post by djdanielb »

I think that the best way will be porting everything on arduino due ( guess on BANNED !!)
Arduino due run at 80 mhz (BANNED 400 mhz)

If library will be ported on due everything will become possible.

At the end of all my project I alway make with eagle the pcb and give to a company to product it. I've just designed a pcb and ds3231 and sd card module to do a big clock 16x64 with this display.

I've used an atmel 2650

bluetooth_guy

Post by bluetooth_guy »

I'm having trouble with the various RGBLEDMatrix versions out there. The one posted above from ecdr I can't get to compile. The one from protomaster I can only get to display the same text across the both displays (not spanning across both displays).

I'm using the Mega 2560 and I think I've got everything wired up correctly. I only intend to display static text (no scrolling), so I'm not worried much about flickering.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

bluetooth_guy

Post by bluetooth_guy »

I got it!

PyschoDodge

Post by PyschoDodge »

Hello guys, I have question, in the learn topic about 16x32 and 32x32 LED matrix. In the "advanced wiring for the 16x32" section, there are couple pictures of better way to connect to led matrix. But pictures show its made for Arduino Uno. I purchased the Arduino Mega 2560 and got it to work with two 16x32 led matrix panels but would like to make protoshield similar to one in "advanced wiring for the 16x32" section. My question is does anyone made one for Mega 2560 and have any pictures of how to make one or know where to buy one. Let me know and thanks for all help.

djdanielb

Post by djdanielb »

use this schematic
and than correct in define the correct pin

consider it more than a present. There are 4 months of job behind this schematics
Attachments
rgb atmega2560au.png
rgb atmega2560au.png (92.16 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

chalupien

Post by chalupien »

hiduino wrote previously on page 3 that "I scaled the code by 4 and it sort of works." when adding 3 even 4 panels to a UNO...
How is this done? I see the buffer is taking all pixels into account. Is it also taking all pixels and all color combinations? If so, could I scale down the colors to have less buffer impact on the small UNO?

ap14

Post by ap14 »

Hello, I am trying to wire two 32x32 panels together and use them as one screen (actually, i'd like to use 4-9, but im starting with 2). Using the modified RGBmatrixPanel.cpp files posted earlier in this forum, I was only able to display the same thing on both panels when nPanels (or pWidth) was set to 1. Whenever I try to set nPanels to 2, nothing displays on either panel. I have had this problem with all of the modified RGBmatrixPanel libraries posted in this forum, and I can't seem to alter any of them in such a way that will get anything to render when the number of panels is set to 2. Does anyone have any experience with doing this using 32x32 panels? Is there something else I need to find and modify in RGBmatrixPanel.cpp or Adafruit_GFX.cpp to make it work with 32x32 panels?

For the record, I am using an Arduino Uno, but I am just trying to display static rectangles so it shouldn't be a problem with memory (at least I don't think so).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The Arduino Uno only has enough RAM for a single 32x32 matrix.

ap14

Post by ap14 »

Thanks for the quick response!

So if I'd like to attempt running 4+ boards, should I be looking at the Arduino Mega or Due?

chalupien

Post by chalupien »

I couldn;t get the uno to do 3 boards... Two was taxing on the processor. The mega does great at 3, but thats all the money I had :-(

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

If tiling multiple matrices, actually I'd suggest the Beaglebone Black, google 'round for a project called Octoscroller.

Arduino Mega has the RAM but not enough speed for multiple panels (refresh rate is too slow and they go all flickery). Due has speed, but the library isn't compatible with that board, and I'm not aware of any variant that's been ported to it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”