Adalight with Lightpack

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
timsat

Re: Adalight with Lightpack

Post by timsat »

New version of Lightpack is released, more about it in a separate topic

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

Could someone perhaps post their setup of the pixel zones for a 100 LED setup with lightpack (Prismatik) ?

I'm still unsure how tall the pixels have to be...

narfel

Post by narfel »

Sorry i only have 50 LEDs. For wich i created profils with 50, 11 or 5 capture zones.
P50.jpg
P50.jpg (113.15 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
p11.jpg
p11.jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
p5.jpg
p5.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 2830 times

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

narfel wrote:Sorry i only have 50 LEDs. For wich i created profils with 50, 11 or 5 capture zones.
P50.jpg
p11.jpg
p5.jpg
Thanks for the images. Just to clarify, when using 100 LEDs, 100 capture zones should be set to achieve the best and most accurate color effect, correct?
I mean what's the point in having 100 LEDs when I'm not going to use them all individually.

Also, since I'm expecting to receive my LEDs within a few days and haven't had any chance to actually experiment with this, what would be the best software to use adalight with?

Prismatik seems to be a hassle to setup since you have to drag all hundred zones to the correct place.
Processing seems to work very well, but I'm unsure how accurate the colors will be and if there is a way to correct them.
Boblight is for linux only?
RPMLight, I couldn't get it to work at all with v1.1.

Which software do you guys recommend?

Also once last important question. I have a 55" inch TV which is wallmounted, when using 12mm diffused LEDs, will I still be able to achieve the wanted effect? Or does the TV need to be further away from the wall?

Thanks in advance!

narfel

Post by narfel »

Sure 100 independent zones for the most details. But on some movies it might be a little to distracting. So i also made those other 2 profiles grouping some of the LEDs into larger zones for a smoother viewing experience. Like the first Ambilights which also only used one average color for each screen side.

I like Prismatic, there is a newer program out there but it got the same problem you are facing, it takes time to set it up for your lights (if you want it to be accurate, i really set each zone individually to get the correct position reacting to on-screen content). And since i have my profiles ready to use in prismatic i'm to lazy to redo them for a new program.

Prismatic allows you to color correct every single LED. In fact my 2 strands are not from the same production batch, so they have a noticeable different color temperature. In my Prismatic profile this gets corrected. Additionally one single LED was off quite a lot too, but i was able to compensate that.

My LEDs are 9cm from the wall and pointed at a 45° degree angle. Not a wall mounted screen, but standing directly at the wall on the tablemount.

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

narfel wrote:Sure 100 independent zones for the most details. But on some movies it might be a little to distracting. So i also made those other 2 profiles grouping some of the LEDs into larger zones for a smoother viewing experience. Like the first Ambilights which also only used one average color for each screen side.

I like Prismatic, there is a newer program out there but it got the same problem you are facing, it takes time to set it up for your lights (if you want it to be accurate, i really set each zone individually to get the correct position reacting to on-screen content). And since i have my profiles ready to use in prismatic i'm to lazy to redo them for a new program.

Prismatic allows you to color correct every single LED. In fact my 2 strands are not from the same production batch, so they have a noticeable different color temperature. In my Prismatic profile this gets corrected. Additionally one single LED was off quite a lot too, but i was able to compensate that.

My LEDs are 9cm from the wall and pointed at a 45° degree angle. Not a wall mounted screen, but standing directly at the wall on the tablemount.
Thanks!

I guess I'll try my luck with Prismatik and Processing then and decide which one works better. I hope that if I angle the LEDs outwards, the halo will be bigger...maybe there is someone here who also has it wall mounted and could provide some more info?

narfel

Post by narfel »

Processing? Then one that comes with the Software you program your Arduino with? You can skip that, that takes to much CPU resources. I think for Linux the best are Prismatik and Boblight (never used that, but i read that a lot of people are using that).

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

narfel wrote:Processing? Then one that comes with the Software you program your Arduino with? You can skip that, that takes to much CPU resources. I think for Linux the best are Prismatik and Boblight (never used that, but i read that a lot of people are using that).
I guess I'll take my chances with Prismatik then...I calculated that on a 1920x1080 resulution and having 38 LEDs on the X axis and 21 LEDs on the Y axis. The zones on Prismatik would have to be roughly 50px wide.

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

I would really still love to see the light pack setup of 100 leds. I just don't know how to set it up correctly :(

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

After hours of headaches and preparation. I came to the conclusion that in order to keep the 16:9 aspect ration for the LEDs, I will need 19 LEDs on the sides and 33 LEDs on the top and bottom. This will give me the closest possible ratio for 100 channels.

I'm still turned horrified having to align all the zones with prismatik since the zone calculator is...well..not the best..

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

Bavilo
You need a program for Windows???

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

Yes demmax. What Software are you using ?

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

Thanks demmanx! that program is excellent! and the zones wizard is much better then the one from Prismatik!

Do you recommend increasing the height of the zones of leaving them default?

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

Do you recommend increasing the height of the zones of leaving them default?
Are you asking me?
I can not advise you anything, I do not have the device Adalight.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”