Adalight with Lightpack

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
smajor

Re: Adalight with Lightpack

Post by smajor »

jeffrey1790 wrote:
pburgess wrote:
jeffrey1790 wrote:the brightness of my adalight setup seems very dim. is there a way to increase the brightness, but have the colors still change between scenes?
How close is your monitor to the wall? For the Adalight LEDs, ideally this should be about 6 inches, or maybe even a little less. Also, a dark room helps, obviously. How dim are we talking?
the monitor is about 1/2ft away from the wall since its on one of those hybrid stands. if i change the mode from ambilight to backlight, and increase the brightness to 100%, they appear to be really bright.
Alternatively maybe You should brighten the video (not best idea, I know) in Your player or decoder (like ffdshow). Just to get closer to the root of the problem.
OR drive gamma down in lightpack (gonna loose colors)
OR play with the minimum level of sens.
(both in expert mode)

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

jeffrey1790 wrote:if i change the mode from ambilight to backlight, and increase the brightness to 100%, they appear to be really bright.
Hmm. Does the source video have black bars top and bottom? That'll certainly kill the brightness if they're in the sampling area.

jeffrey1790

Post by jeffrey1790 »

pburgess wrote:
jeffrey1790 wrote:if i change the mode from ambilight to backlight, and increase the brightness to 100%, they appear to be really bright.
Hmm. Does the source video have black bars top and bottom? That'll certainly kill the brightness if they're in the sampling area.
nope. although, when white is being displayed in the video, the lights seem to get really bright. theres no way to change the intensity of the lights (without loosing colors) when using adalight mode?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

jeffrey1790 wrote:when white is being displayed in the video, the lights seem to get really bright. theres no way to change the intensity of the lights (without loosing colors) when using adalight mode?
Sounds like maybe a wonky gamma setting in Lightpack. Try the normal Adalight sketch (for Processing), see if that looks any better.

jeffrey1790

Post by jeffrey1790 »

pburgess wrote:
jeffrey1790 wrote:when white is being displayed in the video, the lights seem to get really bright. theres no way to change the intensity of the lights (without loosing colors) when using adalight mode?
Sounds like maybe a wonky gamma setting in Lightpack. Try the normal Adalight sketch (for Processing), see if that looks any better.
same thing in processing, although changing the gamma made it a lot better. still loose some of the colors though.

smajor

Post by smajor »

jeffrey1790 wrote:
pburgess wrote:
same thing in processing, although changing the gamma made it a lot better. still loose some of the colors though.
I think due to the nature of these rgb lights, the white gona be always the brightest. Any for ex. pure green can get at most 1/3 that bright (and it can seem even less considering our eye is not equaly perceptive to all shades regardless the actual luminance).

narfel

Post by narfel »

All right, i will share my newly made setup. I was an unsatisfied amBX customer for 5 years and got that tip from swissarmy to try Adalight.

So for my 30" 2560x1600 display i created 65 cm x 41 cm plate (2 cm smaller on each side than the actual screen casing). I don't have it wall-mounted and my center speaker is standing directly under the screen, so i'm ok with an unlit spot in the lower middle. This plate just sits on the back of the screens desk-stand.

With a 25 LED setup the spacing is:
ontop: 8,12 cm (9 LEDs)
sides: 6,83 cm (7 LEDs, each side)
below: 8 cm (3 LED, each side)

I added some PVC tubes to have something to point the LEDs 45° at the wall behind the screen.
adalight.jpg
adalight.jpg (115.37 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Then i setup Lightpack to disable Aero every time it starts (which gives a huge performance boost, and there is a bug that will kill Aero anyway after while, this way i wont have to reactivate it manually).

With my profile i'm still trying, but at the moment this is my video profile. The light capture zones are 200 pixel wide.
profile.jpg
profile.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
Also i might go up to 50 LEDs with a spacing of:
ontop: 3,42 cm (20 LEDs)
sides: 3,41 cm (13 LEDs, each side)
below: 6,50 cm (4 LEDs, each side)

narfel

Post by narfel »

I did it, i put 25 more on it, and i like it. Brightness improved, i would say its now the same i had with my ambx kits.

Also some news idea for profiles. In some situations the standard setup with a small area per LED can be to distracting in movies with a lot of fast scene changes. So i made 2 profiles with bigger light capture zones. One with 5 where its one zone for each screen border (ok the lower one is 2 zones because they are devided by the stand) and one with 11 Zones, 3 on each side (again only 2 on the lower border). Thoose produce a more calm ambilight.

With that i noticed that lightpack produces less FPS with overlapping zones than if they are beside each other, wich is strange since they cover the same amount of the screen area.
Attachments
p11.jpg
p11.jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
p5.jpg
p5.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
Last edited by narfel on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrbiek

Post by mrbiek »

Okay so super noob here.

I got the adalight and i want to put is on my television. Its a 47 in and i am running XBMC as my media player. Problem is i don't know how to make the code work for 50 LEDs. I am intrigued by this light pack setup, but i need to know how i can get the normal processing code to burn all 50 LEDs first. Any suggestions?

narfel

Post by narfel »

Try the Lightpack software: http://code.google.com/p/lightpack/downloads/list

Its faster than processing, at least under windows it is and you dont need to recode anthing for 50 LEDs...

GsJosh

Post by GsJosh »

I was really excited about the lightpack software and it does indeed work brilliantly! The only problem I have is that the screengrabs somehow make video run badly in XBMC. I have tried the official XBMC lightpack add-on, but I get the same results. In all cases, I get lines between frames, as if the frame was cut half way, then showing the next frame. I am sure this is caused by lightpack since the problem disappears when I turn it off.

Does anybody get stable and good results with somewhat the same specs as me?

Arduino Uno
50x ws8201
Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
Windows 7
XBMC

smajor

Post by smajor »

GsJosh wrote:I was really excited about the lightpack software and it does indeed work brilliantly! The only problem I have is that the screengrabs somehow make video run badly in XBMC. I have tried the official XBMC lightpack add-on, but I get the same results. In all cases, I get lines between frames, as if the frame was cut half way, then showing the next frame. I am sure this is caused by lightpack since the problem disappears when I turn it off.

Does anybody get stable and good results with somewhat the same specs as me?

Arduino Uno
50x ws8201
Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
Windows 7
XBMC
I use Mediaportal instead of xbmc.

swissarmy

Post by swissarmy »

Great news guys!
Lightpack crew finally accepted our request for support 100 leds with adalight project! I think that we can await this feature in their next release of lightpack software.

BTW - do I have to be afraid of any inconvenience when I extend my present project from 50 leds with one or two strands more? I mean is there any possibility that new strands will have different saturation, brightness etc. comparing to my old strands (I bought them 4 months ago)?
Will Arduino Uno R3 will handle 100 leds without a problem?

narfel

Post by narfel »

My 2nd strand had a diffrent saturation. I tried to compensate this with lightpacks color calibration.

My first strand uses this (to compensate a light blue wall):

CoefRed=1
CoefGreen=1
CoefBlue=0.69

The 2nd i adjusted like this to get the colors closer to the first one:

CoefRed=1
CoefGreen=0.8
CoefBlue=0.58

tmaniac

Post by tmaniac »

i must be doing something wrong.

i uploaded the ledstream and connected my arduino to my HTPC.
fired up lightpack and configured com and led settings (50Leds, com3)...and nothing.

no lights start blinking or anything.
not with live, not with static colors.

i used the calculator for my lightpack ini but nothing :(
After a while the icon changes to a red cross, unable to connect to com port. Does anybody know where the verbose logging directory is?

what am i doing wrong?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”