Adalight Issue - Flickering Lights

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pburgess

Re: Adalight Issue - Flickering Lights

Post by pburgess »

No worries. Could you copy and paste the offending section of code here? I'll take a look at it.

juppk

Post by juppk »

Have flickering lights too with my adalight setup: arduino uno with 50 LEDs (1 stripe, not purchased at adafruit).

The first 2 LEDs are flickering (arduino side) even with the adalight processing example. I connected a 2A power supply. After increasing the clock_div to 32 the second LED stopped flickering while first still does. Increasing the clock_div to a higher value than 32 has no effect.

Now i changed the power supply to a 4A one. Both LEDs flickering again. Now I have to set clock_div to 64 to get second LED working correctly. First one still flickering.

Any ideas? Should I substitute the big LED stripe by 2 25 LED stripe with the power supply in the middle? Will it solve my problem?

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Do the rest of the LEDs work correctly?

If yes: try moving the power supply to the middle of the strand.

If no: Clock & data wires might be reversed; try swapping them.

juppk

Post by juppk »

Thanks for the tips. The wiring is correct. I connected power to the middle of the strip after the 25th LED. Same effect, flickering. Than I tried original Adafruits 25 LED strip without flickering. So it seems that my 50 LEDs strip has a problem.

But I wonder why it works with solid color (i.e. after Arduino reset the red green and blue cycle doesn't flicker).

Maybe the first LED is broken so I will try to cut it. Unfortunately the Adafruit LEDs are really hard to find in Europe. Most distributors are out of stock all the time or have only one piece. For me It's easier and 3 times faster to order the LEDs in China than in the US. That's why I got only one Adafruit LED strip so far.

So thanks a lot for helping me regardless of the "exotic" LEDs.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”