OLED SSD1306 128x64 - internal booster died?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stephanie

OLED SSD1306 128x64 - internal booster died?

Post by stephanie »

I have two of these 128x64 OLED screens, and on one of them the screen suddenly went dark on me. In testing I noticed that VCC was reading only about 2.5 volts, where it had been reading closer to 9v originally. I checked my other OLED (which has a bit of a dim screen) and it is showing only about 5v on Vcc.

If I wire a 9v battery with ground to my project ground then connect the positive terminal from the 9v to Vcc on the 'dead' OLED, the screen jumps to life nice and bright. Then when I remove the 9v, the screen is 'dead' again.

Both my OLED screens are wired into projects so they are not easily accessible from the back but I am wondering if any of those SMD components on the back would be intimately involved with the on-board booster? If one of them broke off would the onboard booster die but everything else keep working?

Or - hate to say it but gotta ask - is it possible the onboard boosters on these things are a bit on the flaky side? I'm wondering because I bought both of these at different times, months apart, and seeing one 'die' and the other having low output, maybe it's coincidental but it's out there infront of me. For what it's worth, the one that has 'died' is the newer one, the one that works but with reduced output is about 5 or 6 months older.

Thanks!

adafruit

Re: OLED SSD1306 128x64 - internal booster died?

Post by adafruit »

hmm, we've never had any issue with the internal DC/DC and they're used in cell phones so they should be fine for long term use, and its the first we've heard of any issues (we've had these oleds for a year or so)

stephanie

Post by stephanie »

My first assumption was a bad solder joint in my wiring but I inspected it all under a good light source with a loupe and it looked ok. Then when I measured the other one and saw it's Vcc was lower than spec that made me think maybe there was a problem.

I decided to remove the dead one but had an unfortunate SLIP! and damaged the ribbon cable so that was the end of that. Once it was out though I turned it over and checked the SMT parts on the back, they were all firmly in position.

What I did notice, comparing the dead one against the working one, is the dead one had a bit of that kapton tape stuff over the ribbon cable contacts. Looking closely (with the loupe, under a bright light) it looked like something was 'wrong' so I peeled the kapton tape back and discovered there was some corrosion along one of the traces.

I haven't had the OLED in or near any moisture, but it has been kind of humid around here lately. I don't know how fast/slow this sort of corrosion would happen, but I'm wondering if moisture did somehow condense under the kapton, could that corrosion have caused the internal booster to fail?

For what it's worth, my other OLED (the older one) did not have any kapton over the ribbon cable or solder connection, and when I closely inspected that, there was no sign of corrosion.

Here's a macro photo of the back of the OLED:

Link to the full-size image.

You can see the corrosion beneath R1 and C4, as well as on the back of the Kapton just to the right. There appears to be more around R4 and C3. You can also see my big horrible Ooops along the ribbon cable. Memo to me, don't use an x-acto knife as a miniature lever. (That's what they make flat-head screwdrivers for.)

After taking the photo, I peeled the ribbon cable off completely and found the corrosion seemed to go under the ribbon cable, so it wasn't just under the kapton. A few of the ribbon cable's contacts were black rather than shiney-brass coloured.

Anyhow, I've swapped my other OLED out of the older project and into the new project so it's up and running again.

Having inadvertantly delivered the coup-de-gras to the poor thing myself, I would not ask for / don't expect a replacement, but I do want to point out this corrosion incase this is something to be wary of.

Cheers!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks for the research note, we'll keep it in mind, although not sure how that could have contributed to the problem :/
email support@adafruit to get a replacement and we'll see whether that one lasts longer!

stephanie

Post by stephanie »

Just an update on this, as I think I know what happened now. I did not ask for a replacement, as per my prior post since I couldn't determine what caused the failure, and I had slipped and slashed the ribbon cable.

I used the second screen I had in another project, but before installing the other screen I did verify that there was no sign of corrosion on it at all, so I knew it was 'clean' going in.

Today, 12 days later, that second OLED failed. The symptoms were the same as the first one; the dc-dc booster appeared to have died. When I removed the screen and examined it, I found signs of corrosion on the back just like I did on the first dead screen.

The project that these screens have been used on is my 'ISEB-6' BANNED bracer. I suspect that chemicals from the BANNED (either oak tannins or chemicals from the dye) are leaching out of the BANNED and attacking the SMT caps and resistors on the back of the OLED. The back of the OLED is the only place where electronic components were directly touching the BANNED - everything else has a layer of plastic between the circuitry and the BANNED.

So the good news is that the failure was not because of some flaw or defect in the screens themselves.

As for my 2nd dead screen, I've cleaned up all the corrosion and touched up all the solder connections, and will see if the screen can be saved. If not, I'll replace it again. And either way, this time I'll use something to seal the back, either epoxy or silicone, to try and keep the BANNED's chemicals away from the screen's electronics.

nkg

Post by nkg »

The internal booster in my SSD1306 has also died. It appears that I have the same corrosion under the kapton. VCC reads ~2.7 volts.

Stephanie, were you able to bring it back to life by cleaning up the pins?
Attachments
IMG_20130401_001152.jpg
IMG_20130401_001152.jpg (692.85 KiB) Viewed 2150 times

djszk

Post by djszk »

My SSD1306 128x32 also just died. First it froze while updating, and within 15 minutes (after trying on different MCU board/breadboard combos to confirm it wasn't my wiring) it now refuses to light up at all. Upon looking at the back it also appears that the ribbon cable solder joint has some gaps in it under the Kapton. It's been on a breadboard on my desk the whole time. Has anyone seen this before?

Here's a photo of the underside.

Thanks!
Attachments
2013-10-11 11.41.55.jpg
2013-10-11 11.41.55.jpg (235.2 KiB) Viewed 1824 times

selmo

Post by selmo »

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but my problem may be related... (a few people have had problems with that ribbon cable after several months)

I ordered one of these nine months ago and it's been working fine, happily stuck in the breadboard...until today when it went spontaneously dark. :(

After loading the example sketch onto a clean Uno and fumbling around with the wiring, I was able to determine that the display still works -- but only if I squeeze it firmly at the bottom center where the ribbon cable wraps around back to front. One (or more) connection on that ribbon cable has gone south. From my poking at it, it seems like it's a connection under / in the black area on the front, and not on the back under the kapton. But I can't be sure. :?

I've got it working now by putting a small bulldog clip on it, but I'm hoping someone can help me out fixing / replacing this thing.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Kapton is the tape of choice because of its high temperature resistance. You should be able to glide a soldering iron along the tape and re-make any marginal connections through the plastic.

Move the iron in the direction of the traces, and work your way along the strip one bit at a time. You only want to heat a few connections at any given time. The joints that are still solid will preserve the connector's registration with the pads.

selmo

Post by selmo »

Any ideas for the FRONT side? If I put pressure on the ribbon cable on the front-center, and only the front side, the display works. If I put pressure against only the back (where the Kapton is) it does not work, no matter where I apply pressure along the tape / solder joints. So the failure appears to be on those front joints, under the solid black area of the ribbon cable.

I've got a hot-air rework stn, but access to that front joint looks tricky without removing all the back side connections (plus you can't see them). Maybe if I heat the bulldog clip to 220'C or so....and then let it clamp down, it may pass along enough heat to rejoin the connections?

adafruit_support_mike

Could you post a photo of your board please? The trouble with old threads is that it's easy to lose track of the picture-to-problem mapping.

selmo

Post by selmo »

sure. Here's two photos:

One with the clip removed and the OLED not working. Image http://imgur.com/mdR0bhj

One with the bulldog clip and the OLED working. Image http://imgur.com/RmbC2if

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. that's a different kind of problem.

That end of the flex connector goes to the back of the glass, and I'm not sure the connections there even use solder. They might be conductive ink to ITO/silver, which is beyond the rework capacity of anyone outside a fab's R&D lab.

Try sliding a chunk of rubber band between the PCB and the flex connector. It sounds like you need something to apply seating force on the cable/display connection, and elastomers are really good at that. Ideally you'd use something whose relaxed thickness is slightly larger than the gap between display and PCB. Putting it under tension would make it thinner, allowing you to slide it into the gap, then releasing the tension would let it become thicker again.

selmo

Post by selmo »

Well, now the whole display has come unglued from the pcb. I'll try some mechanical fixes as you describe, but I suspect this particular board may be destined for the junk pile.

selmo

Post by selmo »

Well, darn. It seems to have died completely before I got a chance to try a fix... no amount of pinching or pushing is bringing it back to life. What is the warranty situation on these or should I throw it away?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”