Ideas for an Adalight frame

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Wackid

Ideas for an Adalight frame

Post by Wackid »

As my ambilight project has finished i thought i would share it with you.
My goal was to make a frame which has a WAF, because at certain points in the livingroom you can see the sides of my tv.

Its made of aluminium U-profiles with inside measurement of 12mm (15mm outside) and the top a flat strip of 15 . This because of ventilation. Drilled 100 holes of 12mm.

I see a lot of people construct the ambilight with duct-tape and ti-wraps. Which, at the end accomplish the purpose. But i think when you have a nice Home theatre setup investigate a bit of more labor to make a nice frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUwisqTLxY

swissarmy

Re: Ideas for an Adalight frame

Post by swissarmy »

Hi,

My construction is similar to yours - also made from aluminium U-profiles but leds are placed differently (I had no space behind my screen to do it like you did). Sorry for poor quality images! :wink:

It's a 100" screen frame with 125 leds for my projector Optoma HD300X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFbGzLIhiA
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (189.21 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (171.52 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (362.05 KiB) Viewed 5353 times

basm4

Post by basm4 »

Hey both of you. I know this is unrelated to the topic at hand, but I have a question for either of you.

How are your powering your LED strips? are you using just a simple wall wart or a regulated power supply?

thanks!

Bavilo

Post by Bavilo »

Wackid wrote:As my ambilight project has finished i thought i would share it with you.
My goal was to make a frame which has a WAF, because at certain points in the livingroom you can see the sides of my tv.

Its made of aluminium U-profiles with inside measurement of 12mm (15mm outside) and the top a flat strip of 15 . This because of ventilation. Drilled 100 holes of 12mm.

I see a lot of people construct the ambilight with duct-tape and ti-wraps. Which, at the end accomplish the purpose. But i think when you have a nice Home theatre setup investigate a bit of more labor to make a nice frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZUwisqTLxY
I've been trying to contact you, but without success. Could you perhaps share a Picture of the setup in action? or perhaps a short video. Mine will be similar to yours but I want to see how bright this will be and if the ambilight effect will be very visible.

spelosi

Post by spelosi »

Wackid - love your frame and even though I am not handy I am inspired to create my own. Can you share more info on where you purchased the materials? How did you attach the individual frame pieces to each other? Where did you purchase the materials?

Thank you in advance!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”