RGB LED Joining + Power Needs
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

RGB LED Joining + Power Needs

by Silversurfer79 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 am

Hi Guys,

Please excuse this first time poster with what may seem like a stupid question, but I don't actually know what I'm searching for, so I'm sorry of there is a post for this already.

I'm looking at creating myself a Adalight rig for my XBMC media system, http://learn.adafruit.com/adalight-diy- ... g/overview.

Simply put, the post covers only a single string of lights e.g. 25pcs strand. I have a 50" TV and I figured Ill need at least 100 RGB LED's. My question is this, can I join 4 x 25 strands? If so could I run then off a single 12V 2Amp 110-240V power pack? If so is the distance of cable between the LED's important (not suggesting meters, only if it must be exactly the same all way round the circuit) or is it IC controlled when it comes to signal.

Thanks Again.
Silversurfer79

Re: RGB LED Joining + Power Needs

by pburgess on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:09 am

The "Advanced Topics" page for that tutorial explains scaling it up for more pixels.

You can join four 25 pixel strands, but don't use a 12V power supply, this will cook them! Instead, a 5V 10A switching power supply is recommended.
pburgess

by Silversurfer79 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:13 am

pburgess wrote:The "Advanced Topics" page for that tutorial explains scaling it up for more pixels.

You can join four 25 pixel strands, but don't use a 12V power supply, this will cook them! Instead, a 5V 10A switching power supply is recommended.

Fantastic, Ive been so excited to do this. Feel like a kid on Xmas morning.

I cant believe I didn't go any further through the post and didn't even see that, thanks for the short and precise advice :D
Silversurfer79

by Silversurfer79 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:59 am

Just realized that Ive order 2 x 50pcs leds. Could I assume Id just power them from the middle and back? http://learn.adafruit.com/assets/1573
Silversurfer79

by pburgess on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:13 pm

That'll work, you might just find the LEDs toward the ends a little dim. You can try connecting power to the two ends as well.
pburgess

by Silversurfer79 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi pburgess,

Thanks so much for the help, have my LED rig running like a beaut!

I have one last question but I'm not sure you maybe the best person to ask, but here goes.

The rig LEDs and the arduino which works a treat with Colourswirl and Adalight on my windows desktop, any ideas how Id get Boblight running with it on a Raspberry Pi?
There seems to be a issue with the Pis video rendering CPU and that video playback on raspberry doesn't use GLES so the RenderCapture interface can't grab the frames.

Any suggestions where to look to get this running being one in the know.

thanks again.
Silversurfer79

by pburgess on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:17 am

Woot, glad to hear it's working!

Afraid the Pi/boblight question is over my head. There seems to be some discussion on the Raspberry Pi forum if you search for 'boblight', perhaps and answer can be tracked down there...
pburgess