Through-hole RGB LED part# 302 footprint

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jelec

Through-hole RGB LED part# 302 footprint

Post by jelec »

It appears that the leads on the through-hole 5mm RGB LED's are on .05" centers, and that they require a hole of at least .029". By the time an additional .017" - .020" of copper pad is added, the distance between pads is a tiny .001" - .004", well below the .006" - .008" pad-to-pad clearance requirement of many PCB fab houses.

Has anyone used these LED's in a PCB project? It seems odd that these would have a footprint that fab houses won't make. Did I make an error in my math? Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

adafruit

Re: Through-hole RGB LED part# 302 footprint

Post by adafruit »

usually the rings are not very wide

jelec

Re: Through-hole RGB LED part# 302 footprint

Post by jelec »

OK -- sounds like my low-budget fab houses may have unusually excessive requirements for pad sizes (?)... I wondered if maybe I could just specify regular vias (which typically don't have the huge pad requirement) and try soldering to those.

Anybody have recommendations for board manufacturers who allow the tighter pad sizes (without attempting the via theory)?

I've also considered bending the leads 90 degrees alternating left/right/left/right. Then I could place them on the board and solder directly to SMT-style pads without the extra clearance (and no holes at all).

Thanks for any advice/thoughts.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”