Color swirl working, no love for Adalight

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
travis.blumenthal

Color swirl working, no love for Adalight

Post by travis.blumenthal »

i seem to have followed along with the tutorial fine up until the final step of running the Adalight script which did nothing to change the colors of my leds.

travis.blumenthal

Re: Color swirl working, no love for Adalight

Bump, What specifications should i post. I'm running off a uno and windows 7 and bought the adalight project pack

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Hi Travis,

Do you get the red-green-blue color sequence when the Arduino connected to USB? If not, it's usually a wiring problem. The troubleshooting guide has a few things to try.

If none of that helps, post a photo (or a few) showing your wiring, making sure the connections between Arduino, power supply and LED strand are all clearly visible, and we'll have a look.

travis.blumenthal

i mean color swirl works just fine so id assume it would work for adalight fine and that the issues were due to software compatibility or something. but its very possible its my wiring because i used wires i snipped off a old cpu fan and stripped the wires with a shotty pair of scissors.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Ah! My bad, I read the subject wrong.

If the colorswirl sketch is working, Processing and the Arduino are communicating OK. I'd suggest starting with the stock, unmodified Adalight sketch and the normal system desktop (i.e. no games or anything). Is this doing anything? What operating system do you use?

travis.blumenthal

I'm on windows 7. ive tried to edit the adalight sketch and tried running it stock. no luck. the preview window comes up but no lights change or anything. eventually my windows theme reverts to basic. but even if i start it without areo enabled, nothing happens.

travis.blumenthal

bump :/

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Hi Travis,

To confirm: the colorswirl sketch works -- you get the trippy light show around the screen -- but Adalight does not? This is weird, because the symptoms sound like a communication problem in the Adalight case, but both sketches open the serial port the same. Have you modified that part of the sketch at all, in either colorswirl.pde or Adalight.pde? It's a pretty common thing to have to change it to a different port #.

Both sketches will have a line similar to this:

Code: Select all

port = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[0], 115200);
(It's called "port" in Adalight, and "myPort" in colorswirl, but otherwise the same thing.)

If you had to modify colorswirl to get it to run (usually this is done by replacing Serial.list()[0] with a COM port name in quotes, e.g. "COM6"), then you'll need to make the same change in Adalight. If colorswirl is working, and Adalight is showing a valid preview window (but not updating the lights), this is the only likely point of failure that comes to mind.

jacobv

Post by jacobv »

Processing works with colorswirl i got the trippy lights i had to change serial list to 1 to get the trippy lights going now when i go to Adalight sketch ive changed the port to 1 screen i run sketch screen pops up displaying colors in squares around my tv but the trippy lights are still going and not matching tv.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”