inconsistent bi-color bargraph

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joefly

inconsistent bi-color bargraph

Post by joefly »

Hi, I bought 3 bi-color LED bargraphs. I have hooked it up to a raspberry pi, using MCP23017 and using 470ohm resistors along with 3 PNPs. The circuits and program seems to work fine. However, some leds are fully lit and others are dim. When I swap out the bargraph LED, the same problems but different leds on the bargraph are dimmer or brighter. If I, replug the bargraph, same pattern of dim and bright. But different patterns with different bargraphs. Everything else is the same, but different results with different bargraphs.

So I am thinking are they defective? But I seem to be able to get those dimmly lit LED straight to battery of 3v.

any suggestions on if the bargraphs are defective or something wrong with my circuit components.?

adafruit

Re: inconsistent bi-color bargraph

Post by adafruit »

you could try lighting up each LED seperatly using a resistor, +5V and ground, see if they appear different. the bargraphs are pretty good quality so its unlikely the colors differ - but don't burn out the LEDs either!

joefly

Post by joefly »

Which resistor do you recommend?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”