Defective LED strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
consulfirmin

Defective LED strip

Post by consulfirmin »

I recently bought the "Digital Addressable RGB LED w/ PWM waterproof flexi strip" (id 306). Once delivered I tested the strip (5 m reel). it worked as expected and I stashed it for later use. But now part of the strip is broken. About half way (approx LED no 80 and onward) will not light up.

I would like the broken strip replaced. What is your policy on broken parts?

Best Regards,
Pierre

adafruit

Re: Defective LED strip

Post by adafruit »

consulfirmin wrote:I recently bought the "Digital Addressable RGB LED w/ PWM waterproof flexi strip" (id 306). Once delivered I tested the strip (5 m reel). it worked as expected and I stashed it for later use. But now part of the strip is broken. About half way (approx LED no 80 and onward) will not light up.

I would like the broken strip replaced. What is your policy on broken parts?
It sounds like it was shipped to you in working condition - it is possible to fix it. check the broken area, do you see any cracks? The strip cannot be flexed or bent too much!

consulfirmin

Post by consulfirmin »

Hi,

There are no obvious or visible cracks on the broken area. However, I noticed that sometimes a few LEDs (not all of them) after the broken part lights up partly with "random colors". I can not control these LEDs. At other times they are not lit up at all. The LEDs up to the 80th LED works as expected though.

Perhaps a leg on the driver chip is not connected properly? I can check it out but then I have to remove the plastic tube protecting the strip. I image it is hard to put the strip back in the plastic casing once removed though.

As a last resort I guess I can remove the broken part and fit the two remaining parts back together losing two LEDs in the process. It would look ugly though (the strip is supposed to be a present to a dear friend)

Best,
Pierre

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The 80th LED, you say? This might be an easy fix…

The LED strips are manufactured in half-meter segments (16 LEDs each) which are then soldered together to produce the 5-meter strips. Sounds like there might be a dodgy connection between the 5th and 6th segments (right after LED #80). Unfortunately this does mean cutting into the rubber covering. But if you press down against each of the four connections with the tip of a hot soldering iron (you should see the solder melt), you may be able to revive this. Be sure to do all four…the issue isn't always in the clock/data lines…spotty +5V/gnd connections can exhibit similar symptoms.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”