TFTLCD breakout has unexpected driver chip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
madhunm

Re: TFTLCD breakout has unexpected driver chip

Post by madhunm »

Hello,

I made the changes as recommeded; no change. I still get the same output in the serial monitor as in the post below.

I have another question:

According to you, ID 5555 is valid. however, in the code, we are not testing for it.

Here:

Code: Select all

uint16_t identifier = tft.readID();

if(identifier == 0x9325) {
    progmemPrintln(PSTR("Found ILI9325 LCD driver"));
  } 
  else if(identifier == 0x9328) {
    progmemPrintln(PSTR("Found ILI9328 LCD driver"));
  } 
  else if(identifier == 0x7575) {
    progmemPrintln(PSTR("Found HX8347G LCD driver"));
  } 

I tried to substitute 0x7575 with 0x5555 in

Code: Select all

tft.begin(identifier);
without much luck.

Thanks,
Madhu.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Right, it should be 7575

well, if you are using a standard arduino and its still not working we can try treplacing the shield - email support@adafruit

madhunm

Post by madhunm »

Hi there,

Well, I don't think replacement will fix the issue. Do you?

I mean no offence; but, the previous version of the library detects the controller ID to be 0x7575 and the shield works just fine.

However, the new version seems to think it is 0x5555. That said, if I hard-code tft.begin(0x7575), the new library works just fine.

In my opinion, there is something going on in readID() of the new library version.

Thanks,
Madhu.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ok thanks for the report - for now please just use

uint16_t identifier = tft.readRegister(0x0);

we'll check out the library

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

First, let me apologize for the conflicting responses here. That was my doing. I made some sweeping changes to the library while the rest of the crew was very deeply immersed in the office move, and the impact of those changes did not get clearly communicated.

readRegister(x) no longer exists in the latest library -- it was superseded by readID(), which should be doing the exact same thing as readRegister(0x0), but, for whatever reason, isn't. (This change was part of an effort to reduce the code size in order to fit on the Arduino Leonardo...readRegister(0x0) was the only case actually being used, so the function was simplified.)

Until we can get to the bottom of this, I'd suggest one of the following:

1) keep using your modified library (where you're accepting the 0x5555 ID and continuing with the 0x7575 case) and, if we can find the cause, eventually a library update will correctly handle this case.

2) roll back to the older library (the version using readRegister(0x0). Unless you're using an Arduino Leonardo, this should not impact your work; that version is otherwise known working.

If we can't identify the cause, we may end up just doing #2 anyway, and would have to abandon Leonardo support in the library for the time being.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

One more relevant question: are you using a genuine R2 Arduino Uno, or is it one of the many "clones" out there?

Still trying to reproduce the trouble here, and yeah, we might still try swapping out your shield if no other clues surface.

Really appreciate your patience with this. I can assure you it's an unprecedented situation and not the norm.

madhunm

Post by madhunm »

Hi pburgess,

I am using a genuine Arduino R2 Uno.

No worries about the delay, I can understand.

If you could elaborate on the changes made to the library, maybe I can help?

Thanks,
Madhu.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”