Problem with 1.3" 128x64 OLED SSD1306

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
selkathguy

Problem with 1.3" 128x64 OLED SSD1306

Post by selkathguy »

I recently purchased a 1.3" 128x64 OLED SSD1306 : http://www.adafruit.com/products/938

I am controlling it with an Arduino Nano (AT328 version).
I loaded up the libraries and the example code, compiled, uploaded, and it starts right up! But there seems to be an issue with my display. The top half of the display (I think rows 32-63?) alternate working and not working. I have checked the library code myself, and I've even white-filled the screen, and sure enough every other row is black, and I cannot get the pixels in those rows to light at all. I have tried the different Common-mode pin configuration, and nothing seems to work. The bottom half of the display seems to work flawlessly. The top half only every other row works. My soldering job seems pretty good and I was experiencing this issue before I began soldering when I just had it in a header for testing. The effect is always present, even on the splash screen, which breaks up the top half of the Adafruit Industries logo. Do I have a bad unit or am I missing something? Thanks ahead of time.

P.S.: I can send pictures when I am home again (at work now).
P.P.S.: I made sure it is actually using the settings for the 128x64 variant.

adafruit

Re: Problem with 1.3" 128x64 OLED SSD1306

Post by adafruit »

can you post up a photo of your wiring? sounds like something is loose - you're saying it did work perfectly before, right?

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

Unfortunately, this behavior has existed since I first plugged it in. At first I figured I was doing something wrong in terms of wiring, but it accepts all commands and data just fine, And probing the inputs shows everything is normal. I am applying 3.3V and the charge pump is on, with the suggested OLED commons configuration.

If I blank the screen and set a single pixel, it works everywhere except those rows (33,35,37,[...],61, and 63 at the very top). Those rows have never worked for some reason. If I set a byte in the display RAM to 0xFF given the stock library and example code, I get four pixels vertically. This works flawlessly in the bottom half of the display. Setting that same byte in the top region yields only 2 pixels, missing the two on the "dead" rows.

If set in the very top left of the display:
off [...] (all of these are off regardless)
on [...]
off [...] (all of these are off regardless)
on [...]

I will be home in a few hours and I will certainly update with pictures.

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

Update: pictures as promised are attached.
Attachments
Shows the affected rows.
Shows the affected rows.
IMG_1770.JPG (263 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Out of the box, connected, compiled and uploaded example code, got this splash screen.
Out of the box, connected, compiled and uploaded example code, got this splash screen.
IMG_1772.JPG (248.33 KiB) Viewed 3588 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

where is the reset line going?

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

It's hidden, but it's going to pin 13 on the Nano. That is the default GPIO output in the example sketch and I decided to keep everything in line with the example to reduce the risk of me screwing something up.

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

The D13 pin is on the bottom left of the picture of the Nano. It's a bit hidden but that's where reset is going. Any Ideas?

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

Bump. Is this a bad unit? I am using all of the defaults from the example code.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we test all units, so its unlikely there's something wrong with the display - but your headers have cold solder joints, try going over them and cleaning them up a bit.

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

I wicked away the old solder and re-applied new flux and solder. the joints seem sufficient, but I get the exact same behavior. Furthermore, this was happening before the module was even soldered so anything, and the contacts were secured against the header by gentle force. I can send data and commands to the module just fine, and it responds to them as it should, but 16 lines in the display refuse to light.

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

I have identified the problem. It is physical damage to the traces underneath the display's front layer. As this front had damage upon arrival despite being wrapped pretty well, I figured it was inconsequential to the operation of the module, but now I can see there are physical traces that have been severed. When i apply force to the area, some of the rows that are missing start to flicker. It can be seen in the previous images as well, and all other images I have of the product.

Attached is a better view of the damaged part. Can't believe I didn't notice the severed traces before.
Attachments
A better view of the damaged part.
A better view of the damaged part.
IMG_1761.JPG (266.43 KiB) Viewed 3453 times

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ah that looks like damage during shipping, never seen that before!
email support@adafruit for a replacement screen

selkathguy

Post by selkathguy »

Order placed. Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”