Digital LED Strip Problem

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CodEMonkeyX

Digital LED Strip Problem

Post by CodEMonkeyX »

Hi there, I am running the Strip Test on my Arduino and everything seems ok except 1 pixel is not lighting blue at all. When cycling all the colors you never see any shade of blue from that one pixel.

Every other one is good and works fine on the test. Is it possible for 1 pixel color to be bad because of power or wiring? Or is it a bad strip? If it's a bad strip what do I do next? I do not see exchange info on the site?

Here's a video (sorry about the music was feeling a lil'bit country... :) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJb4aYe ... ture=g-upl

Thanks!

pburgess

Re: Digital LED Strip Problem

Post by pburgess »

Yeah, looks like a defect or damage to the strip.

There's a good chance this is just a cracked or bridged solder joint on the strip, in which case you can touch it up with the tip of a soldering iron (since it's near the end of the strip, it should be possible to slide the waterproof cover off that far if you're careful and patient). Look closely at the legs of the affected LED, as well as the nearby resistors and the closest driver chip.

If that's not possible or doesn't fix the problem, and if this was purchased from Adafruit, we can arrange for a replacement.

CodEMonkeyX

Post by CodEMonkeyX »

I think you might be right. I was inspecting the strip and the blue led flickers on and off as I gentle flex the strip. I will try and see if I can fix it.

CodEMonkeyX

Post by CodEMonkeyX »

Hi,
I did that and looked up the SMT LED on your site: http://adafruit.com/products/619 so that I only heat the blue legs.

It helped a little bit, the LED is on most of the time now, but it still flickers with almost movement of the strip. How would I go about getting a replacement?

Thanks,

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Check the nearby resistors and driver chip for solder breaks as well...it could be anywhere along those components (or in multiple spots).

If it won't clear up, then email [email protected], including a link to this post, and we'll get a replacement to you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”