digital LED strip or wearable LEDs for shirt chaser pattern

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chyldofthebeat

Re: digital LED strip or wearable LEDs for shirt chaser pattern

Post by chyldofthebeat »

Thanks! I ordered the battery pack and connectors, and have tested out with the alligator clips for now.

One thing I noticed about the NeoPixel strip vs the Flora Pixels that I have (I think v1, w/the slower chip)... I had code that would fade the Flora Pixels in the same color from value 0 to 255, and a separate function to do the same back down (from 255 to 0) with no delay()... the Flora Pixels could accomplish this very fast, whereas that code ported to a sketch for the NeoPixel Strip (the code is a simple for loop, don't have it right now) makes the strip's LEDs take more time to do the fade.

I think I actually don't need to fade each pixel for the pattern I want overall, so now on the strip, I just make each pixel light, then each pixel turn off, with a delay value for the turn off function. However, it might make it look cooler, and I was curious why the difference in behavior.

P.S. my questions aside, the strip and pixels are awesome, thanks Adafruit!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The speed difference is likely due to the number of pixels being updated. Any time you call strip.show(), it writes all the pixels to the strip.

chyldofthebeat

Post by chyldofthebeat »

Ahhh ok, thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”