Arduino Due and 2.8" TFT no. 376

by MacSteven on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:41 am

I bought the new Due and tried to make it work with my 2.8" TFT Touch shield, but I got only the error message that avr/io.h is missing. Compiling the sketch (adafruit demo) for the Uno there are no problems.
I think it is because the library is not compatible with the Due 32 bit. Am I am right? And will there be a new library for the Due?

Thanks, MacSteven
MacSteven

Re: Arduino Due and 2.8" TFT no. 376

by kenndanner on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I have the same problem and same question.

thanks
kenndanner

by pburgess on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:58 pm

The TFTLCD library does not currently work with the Due.

Most code that uses Arduino digitalWrite(), the standard SPI or Wire libraries, that sort of thing...should work on the Due, provided the voltages are compatible.

But a lot of code out there, especially stuff interfacing to hardware at a low level (TFTLCD library included), bypasses these libraries and accesses chip registers directly...it's a necessity to get decent performance out of the "classic" 8-bit Arduinos. These won't work on the Due without a LOT of changes.

The LPD8806 library was recently made Due compatible. Other libraries will likely follow, but there's no ETA for this...a lot of it will depend on need and the Due board reaching a sort of critical mass of adoption. It's still pretty "bleeding edge" at the moment.
pburgess

by MacSteven on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The TFT and the Due are a perfect couple, I think, because the TFT uses a lot of I/O lines. With an UNO thre are only a few I/Os left, so it is difficult to connect other equipment. But on the Due there are so much I/Os...
I connected a spectrometer modul to the UNO but it needs a lot of I/Os and memory so I want to switch to the Due. Let's hope that the TFT lib will be adapted to the Due soon.
MacSteven

by Arctic_Eddie on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 am

I am also one in need of a TFT library that works with the Due. My application is now running on a Mega but the speed is becoming painfully slow. I'm calculating a double precision complex FFT using the PlainFFT library for a three axis magnetometer. I'll be adding a simulated 3D display for imaging after the Due is running. This new processor board appears to be the solution to many scientific applications.
Arctic_Eddie

by francisr6 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 pm

With The Mega or the Uno displaying a bitmap is so slow that in fact it can not be used to build serious user interfaces i went to the due to solve this, unfortunately despite my efforts it does not work. As the libraries do not seem to be comming soon i will change my mind and go another way.
francisr6

by ZTiK.nl on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 am

francisr6 wrote:With the Mega or the Uno displaying a bitmap is so slow that in fact it can not be used to build serious user interfaces i went to the due to solve this, unfortunately despite my efforts it does not work. As the libraries do not seem to be comming soon i will change my mind and go another way.

I don't know if it helps, I am NOT using a Mega, an Uno, or an arduino at all for that matter.
On my Teensy 3.0 I realized that slow display of bitmaps was (in my case) due to slow SD reading (12KB/s).
Since I have upgraded to SdFat beta libraries, and now achieved read/write speeds at least(!) 10x faster, which makes loading a bitmap much more 'realtime'.
The SdFat beta should support Mega, not so sure about Uno.
guide with speed-benchmarks on a Teensy 3.0

Anyway, don't want to butt in, simply hoping I can help out :)

(edit: added 2 links)
ZTiK.nl

by bobskiwobski on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:00 pm

I too would love to use the TFT LCD with the Due. Has anyone started such a thing?
bobskiwobski