Adalight for dumb TV?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
spilliams

Adalight for dumb TV?

Post by spilliams »

I recently purchased a Samsung UN40EH6000FXZA LED television and I'm interested in putting an ambient backlight behind it (like the Adalight project for a computer monitor). I think the biggest hurdle will be to extract the tv's display data in real time--it doesn't appear to have any video output ports. It has standard component in, audio out (in analog and optical), hdmi in, antenna in, and USB. It also has something labelled "EX-LINK", which I understand is Samsung's data input-output format (http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/Conne ... 1742#M1641).

If it's not possible to extract display data from the TV itself, maybe it's possible to obtain it from the Apple TV source by splitting the HDMI signal?

So my question is pretty obvious: will it be possible to set up an Adalight given the available inputs and outputs on these devices?

pburgess

Re: Adalight for dumb TV?

Post by pburgess »

'Fraid not. Adalight works only with computer-driven content (e.g. media PCs, that sort of thing) where our own software can be installed and poll the screen directly.

spilliams

Post by spilliams »

Ah ok. Worth a shot anyway.

spilliams

Post by spilliams »

I'm going to resurrect this project. Watching tv with other lights on is distracting, and watching with no other lights on gives me eye strain. So I bought an HDMI switch and splitter. All of my devices input to the switch, which outputs to the splitter. The splitter will output to both the TV and some sort of controller? I haven't sourced this component yet. Essentially I need an Arduino board with an HDMI in...

And if worse comes to worst, I can always just set up the backlight as passive, or controlled manually.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

There are some other Adalight-like projects that use an HDMI-to-composite splitter along with a more potent processor that can process the analog stream. I don't recall their names or sources offhand though...you'll need to do some Googling around to locate these (seem to recall a mention on Hack a Day in the past month or two).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”