Need to exchange a faulty part

by pwn3du on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the right location...

I recently ordered a 32x32 RGB LED panel and I just conducted a test and it appears that one of the green LEDs doesn't function. When I send the exact same signal to the red or the blue inputs they all light, so the signal that's being generated is fine. I need to exchange this for one that is fully functional. The order number is 217983. What do I need to do to send this panel back and get a new panel on order?
pwn3du

Re: Need to exchange a faulty part

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:13 am

(Moved to the "Glowy Things" forum)

Is it just one pixel that has this problem? Can you post the test code that you are using?
adafruit_support_bill

by pwn3du on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:22 pm

This isn't a support request. The part is actually defective.

I have a piece of verilog code that controls the OE,Latch and clock lines to feed the panel. If I tie the Red data line to high, the entire display lights red. If I do it with Blue, the entire display lights blue, if I do it with Green there is one pixel unlit.

I can post the code if it's absolutely necessary, but from what I just described, it should be easy to see that if the LED lights in red and blue but not green with the exact same signals applied, it has to be a bad LED. I can't think of any scenario with a permanently high input that would cause one pixel in the middle of the row to behave differently than the others, particularly only in one color.

I appreciate that you guys want to make sure that people aren't returning parts without properly understanding how they work or trying to troubleshoot the problem first, but I'm not having a technical problem here. I understand quite well how the display works and there is no other way to explain the above symptoms other than something being wrong with the panel.
pwn3du

by adafruit_support_rick on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Okay. I'm convinced.

For a replacement, email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your original order number
adafruit_support_rick