problem with charger i bought?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hbcheng

problem with charger i bought?

Post by hbcheng »

Hi!

I bought three 5V 1A USB chargers (ID: 501)

http://www.adafruit.com/products/501

they seemingly work fine on my rasperry pi -- but one won't charge my ipod touch (4th gen): with that one, the ipod won't even acknowledge that it is connected to power at all.

As for the other chargers I got: one of the two other chargers I bought is acknowledged and charges fine with the itouch; the third charger I gave away and don't have immediate access to test.

is this a returnable problem? And if not, should I be worried about using the charger with my RPi?

thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: problem with charger i bought?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is hard to measure the voltage on an iPhone cable, but when you are powering the Pi, do you get a solid 5v from it?

hbcheng

Post by hbcheng »

I seemed to have misplaced my multimeter... I'll get my hands on one and report back..

(what concerns me is that the other identical chargers I bought are able to charge the
Ipod)

thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Just trying to understand the problem. Sometimes it is sagging regulator voltage (charger problem). But we have also seen cases where the voltage drop over the cable (cable problem) causes a phone not to charge.

hbcheng

Post by hbcheng »

hi...

I've done some measurements...

all the chargers I bought (3 of them) measure around the same voltage:

about 5.16V - 5.18V at the end of the USB cable that connects to the pi.

when the pi is powered on with a load of: ethernet, wireless USB, USB external hard drive (connected to its own power supply) .. I'm running it headless so no mouse, keyboard, monitor.. I get around 4.62V.

at minimal load of only ethernet, I'm at 4.70V.
and when powered off, I'm at 5.02V.

everything seems to be working ok.. but aren't these voltages a bit low (except for powered off)?

thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

That sounds like a cable resistance problem. Voltage drop across a resistance is proportional to the current (V=IR). With no load, there will be no drop at all. With a big load, the drop can be substantial. A typical headless Pi with minimal peripherals will be drawing 350-400mA. Most phones these days charge at 500mA (or more if they can get it).

Try a few different cables. You will find that some work better than others.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”