RGB LCD (product 398 / 716) cursor() and blink() library functions not working

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dxh62

RGB LCD (product 398 / 716) cursor() and blink() library functions not working

Post by dxh62 »

Good afternoon,

I have an Adafruit 716 RGB LCD shield installed on an Arduino Mega 2560. The display is working with basic functions (print(), setCursor, clear(), home(), ...) but the cursor(), noCursor(), blink(), noBlink() functions aren't working for me.

For example, the following code prints out "test" but without an underline. In my previous experience with other displays, setting the Cursor field in the display control underlines the characters.

Code: Select all

lcd.Cursor()
lcd.print("test");
lcd.noCursor();
Is this a known issue with the hardware or library, and is there a workaround available?

Thank you for your assistance!

Dan

(this is OT but this same 716 kit was shipped w/o the I2C pullup resistors and only had 5 of 6 PB switches. It also had a nice 2x15 female header that didn't seem to belong. Just an FYI!)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: RGB LCD (product 398 / 716) cursor() and blink() library functions not working

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi, I will see if I can reproduce the cursor/blink issues later today. In the meantime, if you need the parts that were missing from your kit, please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread.

aufder

Re: RGB LCD (product 398 / 716) cursor() and blink() library functions not working

Post by aufder »

Hi,
I was able to get the blink function working with my new lcd menu system I just put on git.
I had to modify my copy of the library file in the following way. There were actually 2 noBlink() methods defined in Adafruit_CharLCDPlate.py that were duplicates. I renamed one to be like:

def blink(self):
""" Turn on the blinking cursor """
self.displaycontrol |= self.LCD_BLINKON

to mirror the way the other methods are declared.

Then blink works fine.

BTW, check out my menu system at:
https://github.com/aufder/RaspberryPiLcdMenu
Regards,
Alan

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Thanks for the report, do you mind putting in an issue on github for the original repository? that way we wont forget to fix it next time we do a code review :)

aufder

Post by aufder »

It appears bbkiwi submitted a change request that includes the blink update.

Being a noob to git, I'll defer to his change for now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”