Bad LED Strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
siliconkibou

Bad LED Strip

Post by siliconkibou »

Hi Guys...big fan of what you're doing here.

So recently bought stuff to whip together an Adalight setup. All in all, everything works great.

However, I've got one LED (about 4 positions from the end) that tends to flake out...showing the wrong colors, in a fairly consistent manner.

I've definitely got enough power (two 25 strands, powered by your 10V power adapter wired at the end of the first strand/beginning of second), and all the other LEDs both before and after this one work perfectly.

All signs seem to point to a defective LED/pixel.

Any thoughts? Should I request a replacement?

Thanks,

-Paul

pburgess

Re: Bad LED Strip

Post by pburgess »

Hi Paul,

Sure sounds like a dodgy pixel. If you'd like to try a quick fix first...give the affected pixel a firm pinch, if no change, try the same on the pixel before it. Could be a marginal solder connection that just needs to be coerced into place. If that helps out, you can try using a zip-tie to keep the pixel pinched, or cut away some of the rubber insulation on that pixel and touch it up with a soldering iron.

If that doesn't help, or if you'd simply prefer a more permanent fix, a replacement can be arranged. Email [email protected] with your order number and a link to this thread and we'll get that taken care of.

siliconkibou

Re: Bad LED Strip

Post by siliconkibou »

Thanks for the pointers. I've tried the steps you've suggested (short of disassembly/soldering) to no avail. Looks like a defective pixel for sure. I'll drop the support guys an email.

Thanks again...

-Paul

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”