2X16 LCD shield and Arduino Due

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dadjplh

2X16 LCD shield and Arduino Due

Post by dadjplh »

Hello,
I am using this shield on my UNO R3. I am very satisfied. Aside from its primary intended use for displaying info related to my application, It has proven an indispensable tool for debugging. It is very easy to build and use, ties only two pins of the UNO and its display is bright and readable from a distance.
I suspect that the current shield does not work with the DUE because of the 3.3 volt limit. Is that right?
Do you plan to have one in the near future, and what about the libraries ?
Thanks
Jean-Pierre

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 2X16 LCD shield and Arduino Due

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I don't know if anyone has actually tested it yet, but the shield ought to be compatible with the Due. However, the libraries will need to be ported. I don't have a time-frame for when that might be done.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

The good news is that the due uses 3v signal but has 5v power, but the port expander is 3.3v compatible and is powered by the 5v pins so -hardware wise- it should be fine. if the Wire library is ported correctly it ought to 'just work' but we havent actually tested it ourselves. If someone gets a chance to test it and report back that would be great :)

upstreammuse

Post by upstreammuse »

The shield code almost compiled out of the box. I just had to define _BV. But the shield backlight isn't lighting, and after playing with the contrast pot, all I can see is a row of white blocks on a black background.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Thanks for the update. Looks like we'll have to poke it a little.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Arduino 1.5.2 is really not ready for prime-time. I've been working on porting the 2.8" TFTLCD shield/breakout library, and I know that 1.5.2 has some errors in pin mapping. They've been sitting on 1.5.2 for a long time now, so I'm going to guess that the next release will see a lot of improvement.

upstreammuse

Post by upstreammuse »

Thanks for checking it out. Definitely looking forward to an updated Arduino release.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”