150 LEDs, 1 LED bullet flicker randomly sometimes

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
momotarotaro

150 LEDs, 1 LED bullet flicker randomly sometimes

Post by momotarotaro »

Hi,

Out of 150 LEDs bullets, there is 1 that flickers randomly sometimes, when it flickers sometimes, not always, the color is not in sync with what's on screen. I have the END of each strand (6 strands) power wires wired to the large power supply.

When I start Processing and it's capturing Windows desktop, that bullet LED flickers slowly. When I watch a movie or anything else, it doesn't flicker at the beginning, but sometimes during the movie, it does flicker randomly and different interval and not consistantly.

When I isolated that strand and wired the power wires at the BEGINNING of the strand near the input, it tested fine and that single LED bullet did not flicker.

The setup is the same as your advanced adalight tutorial with the same products.

Any idea what could be the issue?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 150 LEDs, 1 LED bullet flicker randomly sometimes

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Where in the strand is the flickering led?

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

If input is 1st and outpout is 25th. I think it's the 23rd LED. I would have to be home later to verify.

adafruit_support_bill

Interesting. So when the power is connected closer to the led it flickers? I would not be surprised if the opposite was true. Sometimes the voltage drop at the end opposite the power connection can make for erratic behavior of some pixels.

Another thing to try is to connect the 5v to one end of the strand and the GND at the other end. That evens out the voltage drop across the strand.

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

Another thing to try is to connect the 5v to one end of the strand and the GND at the other end.
I'm not sure I understand correctly. For that strand, do you mean to connect the RED wire at the start of the strand and connect the BLUE wire at the end of the strand to the power supply?

I forgot to specify that flickering LED is on the 5th strand out of 6 strands of the setup.

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

I have a spare switching power supply lying around. Should I use a 2nd power supply?
Would it be compatible and safe to use? It has these specifications:
Input: 100-240 VAC
Ouput: 12VDC 2AMP

It's different from the 5A 2A https://www.adafruit.com/products/276 on your website.
Input: 110V-220V AC
Output: ~5V DC up to 2A

adafruit_support_bill

Don't use the 12v supply. That will fry your strand in a millisecond :!:

So it is actually more toward the end of the strand, so that makes sense. But 6 strands is a lot to be powering from one end. I'd suggest powering it from two or three locations along the strand. Just run extra 5v and GND wires from your supply to the middle and the end of the six strands.

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

Just run extra 5v and GND wires from your supply to the middle and the end of the six strands.
5v = red wire?
GND = ground... blue wire?

I'm confused about those wires.

Please view attached image. Is what you're talking about is solution #1?

Would solution #2 work also?
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (160.76 KiB) Viewed 1048 times

adafruit_support_bill

If you are already connecting in six places along the strand, than you can ignore what I said previously. You said when you isolated the strand and connected power from the input side the led did not flicker. What happens if you power from the input side when it is linked to the rest of the strands?

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

I can try solution #2 and tell you later: connecting the red/blue power wire at the input side as well as the output to the power supply, so the start and end of that 5th strand will have power. Will it be a problem if both sides have power coming in on that 5th strand? Problem meaning if it might fry or damage the LEDs...

If that might cause damage, I will just do what you said and disconnect power wires from 5th strand at output and wire power from input end.

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

If none of those solutions work... Would it work and be a good idea to get a 2nd power supply (5V 10A adafruit) and wire 3 strands on each power supply or only that 5th strand on a 2nd power supply?

adafruit_support_bill

It is no problem to connect power to both ends of the strand. Let us know how it works.

I think the power supply you have should do the job. If you can't get it to work, I'll refer this to our led expert. If he has no suggestions we can replace the strip.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Yeah, I think it's safe to call it a dodgy strip at this point, let's replace it.

Please email [email protected] and include your order number and a link to this thread, we'll have something pronto.

momotarotaro

Post by momotarotaro »

After a bit more testing, that 5th strand's 2nd LED started flickering also randomly. Having used Processing initially, I thought it might be the screen capture software, so I tried Prismatik, Ambibox, but those 2 specific bullets still flickered randomly (not always).

I received your replacement strand about 5 days ago on the 27th of feb.
Installed it, watched the same tv show that had those 2 LED bullets flickering during some scenes and no flickering this time. Then I watched another movie to make sure it was really working flawlessly, and it did! I am so happy and relieved! So you were totally right, that strand was a defect.

Thank you so much for your AMAZING customer service!!!!! The advice, the replacement, the support, you guys are the BEST!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D With your help, I was able to complete my adalight setup. Proud to own your products!!!!!

h0ffman

Post by h0ffman »

Hi
Apologies if this is the wrong place but thought it better to tag onto a similar thread than start another.

I have just built my adalight setup I did notice there was a cut in the insulation on one wire but thought it was probably superficial so just wrapped it in electrical tape and continued.

It all runs fine colourswirl adalight etc however the LEDS often flicker sometimes one at a time other times it seems to be the whole set I have tried running other screen capture software like Ambibox and Prismatik and I still get the same issue.

Do you think this could be due to the damaged wires or can I test anything else. I can try and get a video of my issue if required.

Many thanks
Matt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”