2.8" Touch Shield alignment

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeroenj

2.8" Touch Shield alignment

Post by jeroenj »

Dear Adafruit,

Recently I purchased a 2.8" TFT Touch Shield (for Arduino) from the Adafruit site and I received it last week. It works fine, but there appears to be a misalignment of the touch-sensitive layer with respect to the display underneath. One of the borders of the upper layer (actually on the side where the flat cable is situated) obscures a row of pixels, as one can see on the left side of the image:

Is there any modification I can try to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 2.8" Touch Shield alignment

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I just saw a similar issue in this thread: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p187316

I've sent a message to Phil and Limor, and they'll get back with more information.

adafruit_support_mike

To answer your question directly: no, there's no easy way to modify an LCD with that kind of problem. This is probably an issue we'll have to take up with the LCD vendor.

jeroenj

Post by jeroenj »

Thanks for your reply. I have unfortunately noticed another problem with my Touch Shield; when I move my finger across the screen (from edge to edge, both horizontally and vertically), the X and Y coordinates that are returned lie between 900 and 999 (for X) and 750 to 1000 (for Y), which seems strange. However, I found out by accident that when I hold touch shield+Arduino in my hand and have the underside of the Arduino make contact with my palm, the range of X and Y intermittently becomes 150 to 1000. Tried the same with my other Arduino, and that gave the same results.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

adafruit_support_mike

Hmm.. it's a resistive touchscreen, and skin contact with the bottom of the Arduino would probably give you a connection to the device's ground plane. Skin resistance varies dramatically, but the Drawdio and the MaKey MaKey rely on the fact that some small amount of current can flow from one part of the body to another. From there, my reasoning gets very speculative though..

Some people do have trouble getting a good reading with their fingertips. Do you get the same results when using a fingernail or a stylus (the non-point end of a ball-point pen, for instance)?

jeroenj

Post by jeroenj »

Using a stylus gives the same results; partial range for X and Y when on a flat hard surface, full range when in hand.

adafruit_support_mike

Okay.. I've talked with some other people, and it appears the range of values you're getting is fairly typical. They reminded me that the example sketches use the map() function to scale the results to an appropriate value:

Code: Select all

// scale from 0->1023 to tft.width
   p.x = map(p.x, TS_MINX, TS_MAXX, tft.width(), 0);
   p.y = map(p.y, TS_MINY, TS_MAXY, tft.height(), 0);
The 150-1000 range you see when you hold the device in your hand probably comes from medium-high-impedance skin contact between the pins on the bottom of the board, and probably won't represent where you're touching the screen very well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”