LCD Pi Plate Issue

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Colinahscopy

LCD Pi Plate Issue

Post by Colinahscopy »

Hello,

I purchased the 16x2 LCD Pi Plate kit and assembled it this weekend. When I installed it on my Pi and ran the LCDtest python file, all I see is boxes on the top row of characters. I took another step to see if any of the buttons were working, so I ran the Adafruit_CharLCDPlate file and saw that whenever I pressed a button, it will print out the button label and then the right button. (i.e. when i press up, it will print out "Up" and then "Right" on a new line right after it)

Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Colin K.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LCD Pi Plate Issue

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post photos of the front & back and we'll check the assembly.

Colinahscopy

Post by Colinahscopy »

Here is a picture of the front:

And the back:

wildtang3nt

Post by wildtang3nt »

It looks like you didn't solder the last two backlight pins towards the middle of the LCD header on the back side.

adafruit_support_bill

It looks like you didn't solder the last two backlight pins towards the middle of the LCD header on the back side.
Actually, I think that is the monochrome version of the display. It only has 16 pins.

The soldering on the display part looks fine. The rest (buttons and processor) are out of focus. Can you post a clearer shot of that part of the soldering?

From the symptoms you describe, I suspect that a marginal connection may have left the right button 'floating' so that it picks up spurious signals when you press other buttons.

Colinahscopy

Post by Colinahscopy »

Here is a link to a close-up of the lower portion of the plate.
http://i.imgur.com/CZ75A83.jpg(Front)
http://i.imgur.com/KETKyAP.jpg(Back)

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks, those photos are much clearer. A few of the solder joints on the chip (including the one that connects to the "right" button) look a bit solder-starved, and the solder has not flowed well onto the pad. Look it over closely and re-touch any joints that look suspicious.

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... n-problems

Colinahscopy

Post by Colinahscopy »

I soldered the connections that were solder-starved. When I booted up my Pi and tried running the test program, the issue still persists. The first row is still just block characters and the right button shows when I press any of the other buttons.

adafruit_support_bill

Alright. Double check the soldering on the SDA and SCL pins of the GPIO header and touch up if necessary. If that doesn't change anything, contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”