16x32 RGB matrix, chained, driven by DVI or HDMI?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
robocandy

16x32 RGB matrix, chained, driven by DVI or HDMI?

Post by robocandy »

Hey Guys - Maybe I'm a dreamer... so begin the dream sequence ...

I've been searching all morning (on the Google) looking for an affordable way to receive an HDMI or DVI signal, spit it out to a nice chain of these 16x32 or these 32x32 Adafruit RGB matrices. I know half the fun of the RGB matrix is being able to drive it from Arduino, etc... But imagine the potential for creativity if we could directly pump videos via DVI/HDMI into these little guys? Live capture webcam into Raspberry Pi ==> out HDMI ==> into the mystery magical FPGA device I'm dreaming of ==> into a chain of RGB matrices :)

I saw Adafruit's link to the FPGA tutorial... which is sortof a start. But it's definitely over my head to develop my own HDMI decoder...

So who's up for this? Maybe it could come with a little config utility that allows us to specify mappings of the pixel source => to => target of the DVI/HDMI signals so that we can come up with any physical layouts of these puppies, to our hearts desire? This would be especially cool... the sky would be the limit. And I think adafruit would sell a crapload of these matrices...

OK... end of dream. I wake up to see a junk pile of FPGA chips and realize this is way outta my league... but still... if collectively we dream... maybe... just maybe...

funkytaco

Re: 16x32 RGB matrix, chained, driven by DVI or HDMI?

Post by funkytaco »

You have a long road ahead of you to do this. You really need to know EE.
This guy is doing something similar, but to try and get an LCD monitor working with Raspberry Pi.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 8&start=25

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

robocandy

Post by robocandy »

Haha, that photo is hacked together with photoshop. It's hard to know if that device was ever actually created!

But, your post has made be realize that this would also be an amazing box to power an Adalight/Ambibox/etc without the need for a computer!

I mean, surely, the device can't be this elusive? All the millions of cheap LCD panels are able to read HDMI/DVI - and theses RBG matrixes are made to be integrated into video walls...

I know the ADV7611 is able to do this, but it looks very complicated to setup.

I was *hoping* Adafruit would officially chime in here... because actually, if they developed such a device, it could be handy to interface any video source to all of their displays: eg. all the OLEDs (both monochrome and color, RGBs matrices, led strings, etc, etc). If only I had the skills myself... :D

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

Haha, that photo is hacked together with photoshop. It's hard to know if that device was ever actually created!
The device is made in 3 copies

robocandy

Post by robocandy »

Hi denmax2004 - Do you know if the plans (schematics) for this device are open source?

demmax2004

Post by demmax2004 »

This is not my design, I can not give a scheme, board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”