RGB LCD Positive Backlight 16x2

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tritonesub

RGB LCD Positive Backlight 16x2

Post by tritonesub »

Hi, I have purchased the RGB LCD Positive Backlight 16x2.
The backlight seems to work ok but I can only faintly (sometimes) see the first line of "blocks" when connected to the pot.
After connecting the data pins to GPIO I cannot see the first row of "blocks" at all. I metered the pot and it seems to work fine giving 0-10k. I have tried connecting direct to the T-Cobbler, through the MCP23017 and with and without PWM for the backlight RGB control. I have tested the data pins on each setup with an LED to make sure they are working correctly.

I will upload pictures in the current configuration (MCP23017 and green backlight to ground).

Thanks,

Steve
image.jpg
image.jpg (745.54 KiB) Viewed 669 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: RGB LCD Positive Backlight 16x2

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can't really tell where all those wires in the photo are going. Can you post one that shows both the display and the cobbler so we can see how everything is connected.

tritonesub

Post by tritonesub »

The attachment image.jpg is no longer available
To simplify, I removed the data pins. I have the backlight powering from the PWM breakout and only the green led grounded. I have the power to 5v and pin 3 is to the resistor. Full sweeps of the resistor have no impact.

I did notice that resistor R8 and R4 are not present and I am not sure if they are required or not. (Picture below)

Thanks,

Steve
image.jpg
image.jpg (363.92 KiB) Viewed 615 times

tritonesub

Post by tritonesub »

image.jpg
image.jpg (595.14 KiB) Viewed 615 times

adafruit_support_bill

To simplify, I removed the data pins. I have the backlight powering from the PWM breakout and only the green led grounded. I have the power to 5v and pin 3 is to the resistor. Full sweeps of the resistor have no impact.
That would be the expected behavior. With no data pins connected, there will be nothing to see. Post a clear photo showing your data wiring.

tritonesub

Post by tritonesub »

Hi, Sorry about that. I was following the tutorial which said to go back and check the wiring at this point if you couldn't see the top row of boxes when adjusting the pot. Here is a photo of everything wired up and I am running the Adafruit_CharLCD_IPclock_example.py but nothing is visible on the screen regardless of pot position. I have also metered the pot again and it appears to be linear 10k.

Thanks, Steve
DSC_0119.JPG
DSC_0119.JPG (250.92 KiB) Viewed 585 times

tritonesub

Post by tritonesub »

Now, while running the Adafruit_CharLCD_IPclock_example.py file sometimes it will show some shapes starting in the middle and then changing before going blank again.
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG (69.41 KiB) Viewed 584 times
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG (68.66 KiB) Viewed 584 times
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG (80.86 KiB) Viewed 584 times

adafruit_support_bill

It appears you have it connected correctly. I would try it without the PWM on the backlight though. These displays are fairly sensitive to noise and you might be picking up some from the long PWM jumpers.

tritonesub

Post by tritonesub »

Hi,

I had this breadboarded before and had the same behaviour. I pulled it off to clean things up and to make a clearer picture.
I have followed the instructions in the tutorial and have hooked this up several different ways in an attempt to troubleshoot.

1. I have not powered the back light and still have the same data issues.
2. I have run the back light from each individual pin to ground and powered from +5v and still have the same data issues.
3. I have breadboarded the rgb display as well as jumpering it with the same issues.
4. I have powered the display from the Raspberry Pi's +5V as well as from a separate regulated +5v supply and continue to have the same issues.

All of these attempts have produced the same results that I have documented here.

What is the next step you would like me to take in terms of resolving my support case?

Thanks,

Steve

adafruit_support_bill

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread and ask for a replacement display.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”