2.8" 18-bit color TFT LCD adn an ADC with raspberry pi

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Saniye

2.8" 18-bit color TFT LCD adn an ADC with raspberry pi

Post by Saniye »

Dear Adafruit Support,

I ordered "2.8" 18-bit color TFT LCD with touchscreen breakout board" and an ADC(ADS1015 12-Bit ADC) from adafuit to make them work with my Raspberry Pi. I do not have an Arduino.

There is extesive amount of information on your web site for Arduino, that is great. However, I was wondering where I can find pin wiring instructions between 2.8" 18-bit color TFT LCD with touchscreen breakout board, ADC and my raspberry pi. Any suggestions on wiring and code examples for raspberry pi will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
- Saniye

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 2.8" 18-bit color TFT LCD adn an ADC with raspberry pi

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid I can't find any useful information about using the 2.8" display with the RasPi. The trouble is that you need to feed the display information directly to the chip that drives the display, rather than sending it through a circuit that speaks one of the standard video signals like VGA, NTSC, or HDMI. That means you have to write a lot of device-specific code, and apparently no one has published a version of that code that works with the RasPi yet.

You can use our Arduino library as a reference: https://github.com/adafruit/TFTLCD-Library , but that's about the best I can offer.

Fortunately we do have a RasPi library for the ADC: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Ra ... it_ADS1x15 . We don't have a tutorial specifically for the ADS1015 and the RasPi, but if you combine the information in the ADS1x15 tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-4-ch ... s/overview with the information in the "Analog inputs for Raspberry Pi" tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/reading-a-ana ... i/overview you should get a decent start.

karantza

Post by karantza »

Hi; sorry for bumping an old post, but I came across this thread while figuring out how to get Adafruit's 2.8" display working on the RasPi, and I wanted to share my solution.

There is a kernel module project called 'fbtft' which aims to make a number of simple TFT displays avaliable as regular linux framebuffers. This display is not explicitly listed, but using the driver for the ITDB28 display, which uses the same ILI9325 chipset as Adafruit's, works great.

Download the kernel module (build it yourself or find a compiled binary) and add the following to /etc/modules (though, check your pin numbers carefully):

Code: Select all

fbtft_device name=itdb28  gpios=reset:17,dc:3,wr:2,cs:27,db00:9,db01:11,db02:18,db03:23,db04:24,db05:25,db06:8,db07:7,led:4
Optionally, if you'd like your boot console to be on this display, add this to the end of /boot/cmdline.txt:

Code: Select all

fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:MINI4x6
If you have any more questions about how I got my display working, I'll do my best to answer them!
~Alex

fabripod

Post by fabripod »

Hi Alex could you post a diagram showing which pins on the raspi go to which on the 2.8" TFT? I'd greatly appreciate it since I'm new at this. Also, i'm not sure if you're using the touch shield for arduino. I'm not - just the 2.8" 18-bit color TFT LCD with touchscreen. I've got headers soldered to it and attached to the breadboard. Thanks for your help!
Chris

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”