16x32 LED Matrix not working

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
opaopa

16x32 LED Matrix not working

Post by opaopa »

Hi there.

I recently purchased a 16x32 LED Matrix, along with power supply from Adafruit. I wired everything very carefully according to the tutorial and triple checked my wiring. The matrix is getting power. I've tried using the example code provided to test the LED Matrix on my Arduino Uno. The LED Matrix has yet to show a single blip or sign of life. I run the blink test on the Arduino and that seems to work fine, so the Uno seems to be working OK along with getting the matrix test code onto the Uno. I grabbed the latest RGBmatrixPanel and Adafruit_GFX. Code example seems to compile and load fine onto the Uno.

OE and LAT lines are labeled different on my matrix board, but I'm assuming the functionality is the same. they are listed as ENA and STB -- something like that.

Is it possible I received a faulty LED Matrix panel? I'm out of thoughts on what else to try.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 16x32 LED Matrix not working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo of your setup and we'll see if we can spot anything.

opaopa

Post by opaopa »

Here are some pics of the wiring. I had tripled checked and didn't see anything wrong with it.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong, as I really feel there may be something wrong with the LCD Matrix as I have seen no sign of life.
Attachments
photo2_mini.jpg
photo2_mini.jpg (146.67 KiB) Viewed 562 times
photo3_mini.jpg
photo3_mini.jpg (140.54 KiB) Viewed 562 times
photo4_mini.jpg
photo4_mini.jpg (152.05 KiB) Viewed 562 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I know that there's some variation in these things, but I'm having a hard time matching up your pictures with the pictures in the tutorial.

Your ribbon connector seems to be attached to the right-hand side of the board, whereas the tutorial shows J-IN to be on the left-hand side.

Can you post a picture of the back side of the board? Please make sure it's focused and detailed enough that we can read all the silk-screen labels.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Yep, try moving the ribbon cable to the other connector. The 'direction arrow' is visible at the top center of the third photo.

opaopa

Post by opaopa »

Thanks for the responses. My board has the "HUB75" and labeled inputs connector on opposite sides of what is shown in the tutorial. I've hooked the ribbon cable up to the labeled input connector as done in the tutorial, it just happens to be on the opposite side of the board. That does sound like a good idea to try -- using the other connector as I really feel the wiring is correct. That would make sense if the left-to-right arrows are meant to indicate data coming in and data going out to pass through to the next LCD matrix. Here are some more pics:
photo5.JPG
photo5.JPG (158.36 KiB) Viewed 532 times
photo6.JPG
photo6.JPG (165.41 KiB) Viewed 532 times
photo7.JPG
photo7.JPG (108.66 KiB) Viewed 532 times

opaopa

Post by opaopa »

switching to the other port did the trick! didn't cross my mind to use the unlabeled port. Thanks for the help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”