Touch Wheel Controller for RGB LED died

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Davepix

Touch Wheel Controller for RGB LED died

Post by Davepix »

Hello,

with regards to my recent order for two PID: 1005 Touch Wheel Controller for Analog RGB LED Strips.

I hooked them up each to an Enttek Aleph1 strip (1' ~ 300ma) and a 10 cell sub C NIMH battery. They both worked for five minutes then one of them became unresponsive. The second unit is stuck on one color, does not turn off and only makes a beep with an occasional button press. I swapped controllers and the first one still works fine with both setups.

David

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Touch Wheel Controller for RGB LED died

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The controllers are rated for supply voltages between 12v and 24v. Ten NIMH batteries should produce a nominal voltage somewhere around 12v, they may have drooped a little with the load going to the LEDs.

Check the voltage with a meter, and if possible try raising it a bit above 12v. The one that's working may just be extra tolerant of slightly-below-spec supply voltages.

Davepix

Post by Davepix »

Mike, I'm getting 13.37v from my battery bank, tested from the dimmer input while running the LEDs. Though tempted to add a cell to test it, I don't want to fry my LEDs. Unfortunately one dimmer appears to be out of spec. And unable to run 12v strips.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

13.4v is within spec for the input voltage, so given that one works and the other doesn't, let's get you a replacement.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and they'll take care of you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”