Broken ws2801 LED-Strand

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gnarls

Broken ws2801 LED-Strand

Post by Gnarls »

Hello!

I recently ordered and received two ws2801-LED-Strands to use in an selfmade Ambilight-setup with my Raspberry Pi and finally got the time to get it together.
Now here's my issue: One string is working fine(at least the 3 light flashes before turning off), but the other one came with a broken wire. When i tried to hook it up with a CCTV male-female jack, the blue wire simple fell out of the lamp. I rarely lifted it up, so the other LEDs didn't hold it down too much.. I assume that's not what it should be doing.. What should I do now?

Best regards!
Attachments
2013-07-15 18.04.26.jpg
2013-07-15 18.04.26.jpg (938.11 KiB) Viewed 369 times

pburgess

Re: Broken ws2801 LED-Strand

Post by pburgess »

Hi Gnarls,

If you'd like to exchange the strand, please email [email protected] with your order number and a link to this thread, and we can have one out to you ASAP.

Or, if you want to get things up and running more quickly, and are handy with tools, you can cut and peel away about 1cm of the plastic capsule and re-solder the wire in place. Since these are being used indoors, exposing the board shouldn't be an issue. (Of course it shouldn't have done that in the first place, and we'll gladly swap it out, just putting the option out there if you're feeling impatient.)

Gnarls

Re: Broken ws2801 LED-Strand

Post by Gnarls »

Hi pburgess!
This is a really awesome support! I will happily wait for a new one, cause unfortunately I'm not that handy with tools at all.

Thanks for your help and best regards,
Gnarls

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”