3.3v signal for Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED -1m - WHITE

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tomlr

3.3v signal for Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED -1m - WHITE

Post by tomlr »

I see in the specs that this requires 5v power, but can I use 3.3v for digital communication or will I need to have a logic level converter to bring my signal voltage up to 5v?

Additionally, if I need to use a level converter, will that slow down my communication too much? I'm considering using a microcontroller like the Arduino Due which runs @ 3.3v.

Thanks,

Thomas

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 3.3v signal for Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED -1m - WHITE

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Good question. The FLORA NeoPixels will run at 3.3v, but I'll have to check if there's anything different about the strips.

The 74LVC245 level shifter should be fast enough. The TXB0108 should also work.

adafruit

Re: 3.3v signal for Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED -1m - WHITE

Post by adafruit »

you can use 3V logic as long as the power is less than 2x the logic. so make sure your power input is 5V and not 6V as we've seen some strips dont like that. the good news is that the data is 'retransmitted' so if the first pixel takes the data as valid it will retransmit it at 5V down the rest of the strip. if you have trouble, either of the shifters mentioned will work perfectly

tomlr

Post by tomlr »

Thanks for the prompt replies. I also noticed some comments in your library referring to the "Due". Does this mean that you've done some testing with that device?

Thanks again,

Thomas

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Yes, I believe that the library supports the Due.

toughsled

Re: 3.3v signal for Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weathe

Post by toughsled »

How does the LED Artist A12 you carry in the store run using a CR2450 battery? According to the datasheet, the battery only puts out 3.0V. Don't Neopixels need at least 3.5V to run? The rechargeable LIR2450 runs at a higher voltage so I understand how it works with that, but I'm stumped with the other one.

Thanks.

Franklin97355

Re: 3.3v signal for Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weathe

Post by Franklin97355 »

They aren't NeoPixels.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”