Neopixel maximum voltage

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fxmech

Neopixel maximum voltage

Post by fxmech »

Hi I started switching over to your neopixel strips because of the higher led count density.
I had some fails early on due to (I think) using 6V lead acid batteries.
Fully charged they can come close to 7V and I think the pixels failed only with batteries that were fully charge and new( held a higher voltage at full charge)

I started wiring in voltage regulators and haven't had the issue.

I just saw some of your newer Neopixel boards such as the one for the flora claim to handle up to 9V....
The neopixel individual led spec says 6-7V input voltage...

Is there a reason for the variation if they all use the same chip???

I ask because since space is limited usually Id much rather swap out components on the strips than add a big voltage regulator...

Thanks!!!

EternalCore

Re: Neopixel maximum voltage

Post by EternalCore »

They use different resisters, capacitors and they're designed slightly different.
The max voltage to use is 5v any higher and they may become unstable.

fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Sorry still confused as to why the specs state different voltage values if they are all <5v circuits...????

EternalCore

Post by EternalCore »

EternalCore wrote:
fxmech wrote:Sorry still confused as to why the specs state different voltage values if they are all <5v circuits...????
They use different resisters, capacitors and they're designed slightly different.
The max voltage to use is 5v any higher and they may become unstable.
fxmech wrote:Sorry still confused as to why the specs state different voltage values if they are all <5v circuits...????

fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Thanks for the replies...
When you say don't use more than 5v are you speaking specifically about the strips or in general? I think that's where the confusion is at... Not so much in my ability to read your original reply.
Sorry for insisting, butI just can't leave this one open for misinterpretations...
I buy rolls and rolls of the stuff and can't risk ruining them or having the projects fail..

EternalCore

Post by EternalCore »

fxmech wrote:Thanks for the replies...
When you say don't use more than 5v are you speaking specifically about the strips or in general? I think that's where the confusion is at... Not so much in my ability to read your original reply.
Sorry for insisting, butI just can't leave this one open for misinterpretations...
I buy rolls and rolls of the stuff and can't risk ruining them or having the projects fail..
It's listed as Maximum 5V @ 60mA draw per 0.65" strip segment (all LEDs on full brightness)
Source: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1138#T ... %20Details

fxmech

Post by fxmech »

Not sure if you work for adafruit but hopefully they will jump in here...
I have to assume that you specifically are talking about the strip neopixels... spec'd at 5v...not in general ... I got that and thank you for the reply...
I am now curious if it is ok to modify the strips if needed (out of warranty of course)
So that I can safely plug in a fully charged lead acid battery which will be at around 6.8 volts..the flora neopixels LEDs seem to work at up to 9v an that is an ideal scenario for me but I'd love to be able to use the strips in that same way.
So that is specifically my question hope you adafruit support guys can please reply!with a suggestion.. We have standardized around these 6v lead acids and try to stick with them whenever possible... The older strips didnt have any issues with this but the neopixel strips are more delicate to voltage

EternalCore

Post by EternalCore »

fxmech wrote:Not sure if you work for adafruit but hopefully they will jump in here...
I have to assume that you specifically are talking about the strip neopixels... spec'd at 5v...not in general ... I got that and thank you for the reply...
I am now curious if it is ok to modify the strips if needed (out of warranty of course)
So that I can safely plug in a fully charged lead acid battery which will be at around 6.8 volts..the flora neopixels LEDs seem to work at up to 9v an that is an ideal scenario for me but I'd love to be able to use the strips in that same way.
So that is specifically my question hope you adafruit support guys can please reply!with a suggestion.. We have standardized around these 6v lead acids and try to stick with them whenever possible... The older strips didnt have any issues with this but the neopixel strips are more delicate to voltage
I don't work for adafruit...

But If you drop and regulate the voltage to 5v you then will be able to mix and match between the strips, flora, bar and ring with ease. As it's better then risking frying something with mixed voltage devices and the regulater will protect the things you wire up to it. ;)

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The strips are designed for 5v operation. Operating at 6v or more can damage the strip. For the Flora Neopixels, we added larger current limiting resistors to allow more flexibility in power sources for wearable applications. Modifying the strips in the same way would be difficult - because each pixel in the strip has its own set of SMT resistors. The easiest solution for running these from your 6v battery source would be a UBEC: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1385 With a 6v input, you should plan on about one per meter.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”