[101-Help]~12v -> 5v 1.5A Regulated PowerCircuit For NeoPixels.

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
EternalCore

[101-Help]~12v -> 5v 1.5A Regulated PowerCircuit For NeoPixels.

Post by EternalCore »

Here's a Schematic I made and FULLY tested for how to use a regulator properly, which I'm willing to share, for Powering your NeoPixels or any other 5V devices up to 1.5A.

Note: This thread is to help others make a power supply for the NeoPixels or any other 5v devices. So If you have a question then feel free to ask.

I Built and tested this on a Lead-Acid 12v 7AH battery and it works flawlessly for a strand of 30 Neopixels on FULL illumination.
Also Running the strandtest on 60 Neopixels runs flawlessly. :D

Here's my 3Amp Parallel Regulator version: [101-Help]~12v -> 5v 3A Parallel Regulated PowerCircuit For NeoPixels.

Schematic, The Parts I used and breadboard design pic are below.

Final Version on a PCB:

Note1: Your ~12v power supply must have At-least:
Battery: ~12v DC @ 2Ah(2000mhA) Of storage to use this design.
Wall: Output ~12v DC @ 2A current to use this design.

Note2: You MUST use a Heat-sink to dissipate the heat otherwise you might fry your IC.

Schematic:

Part tested with:
Regulator LM7805C
Ceramic Cap1 0.22uf
Ceramic Cap2 0.1uf
Electrolytic Cap3 25v 1000uf
2x 3Amp Diodes

Breadboard tested design with the part listed above:

Let me know what you think.
-Enjoy
Last edited by EternalCore on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.

lastone

Re: [101-Help]~12v -> 5v 1.5A Regulated PowerCircuit For NeoPixels.

Post by lastone »

Why not use the Mini DC/DC Step-Down (Buck) Converter - 5V @ 1A output - TSR12450?

Yes it's only 1 A, but my understanding is that you could run 2 in parallel and thus have 2 A output without making a board. Seems more simple. Also no heat sink is required.

EternalCore

Post by EternalCore »

lastone wrote:Why not use the Mini DC/DC Step-Down (Buck) Converter - 5V @ 1A output - TSR12450?

Yes it's only 1 A, but my understanding is that you could run 2 in parallel and thus have 2 A output without making a board. Seems more simple. Also no heat sink is required.
Because Using a regulator is safer and I will be doing a parallel regulator design too which will bring it up to +3Amps. ;)

P.S. The board for my design is actually quite small as the 2 biggest things on it is the 1000uf cap and the regulator with heat-sink.

EternalCore

Post by EternalCore »

UPDATE: Added Breadboard design picture.

EternalCore

Post by EternalCore »

Update: Added a Final version printed on a PCB to show how small it actually is!

Final Version on a PCB:

EternalCore

Re: [101-Help]~12v -> 5v 1.5A Regulated PowerCircuit For Neo

Post by EternalCore »

We need a place to post our stuff... Bill, rick or Adafruit can you guys make this possible and move this thread to it???

gg066

Post by gg066 »

I am building an off-grid Arduino-based weather station that needs to run off solar and a lead-acid battery. I looked at a commercial vendors solar/battery setup, and its easy to replicate, and do so inexpensively. I don't understand the regulator they are using (I am still learning circuit design), and I am wondering if your design would be suitable for my purpose. The battery is a 6v 12AH Panasonic, and their regulator is a 7805 with a diode protecting the +5v feed to the battery, and 4 connected diodes on the Com pin of the 7805. The commercial design has no capacitors. The feed to the Arduino would come from the battery. I noticed that you are using 12v input. What changes would be needed for a 6v solar panel as the source?

hoprocker

Post by hoprocker »

EternalCore, awesome topic, thanks so much for this circuit. Have you done any experiments with switching regulators? It looks like Adafruit sometimes carries a regulator using the MP2307 https://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/MP2307_r1.9.pdf buck converter, which looks like it *may* be more power-efficient. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”