HT16K33 Breakout used for Time Circuit Clock

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deater

HT16K33 Breakout used for Time Circuit Clock

Post by deater »

Hello, this isn't really a question, but elsewhere it encourages us to post info on projects we've made with the parts we've bought.

I am working on my own BTTF-esque time-circuit clock, but using 16-segment displays for the month names.
It's currently run by a Raspberry-Pi driving a HT16K33 breakout board.

I also have it set up to use a keypad for input using the HT16K33 input interface; you'll be glad to know that it works fine.

Here's a link to pictures/movies of the prototype, showcasing the rat's nest breadboard layout.
http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/har ... e_circuit/

Hopefully the next step will be to get some PCBs made up.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: HT16K33 Breakout used for Time Circuit Clock

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Nice work! :D
That's a lot of jumper wires. It's like the 2013 version of punch-card decks.
You didn't want to accidentally drop your deck, and you don't want to accidentally snag your wires :shock: :wink:

deater

Post by deater »

In case anyone has been following along, I've updated the web-page with new pictures and videos as I continue to work on the time circuit clock...

GVeers

Post by GVeers »

Thanks for posting, deater. I would love to put something like this together for ye olde mancave, but I'm a novice. Considering how much heavy lifting you've done, do you think I could pretty easily follow along? I'm a novice but not totally unfamiliar with projects that require a lot of persistence and troubleshooting.

GVeers

Post by GVeers »

Actually I think I'll be doing Phil's version instead. Just need to figure out how to adapt it for AC power...

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/07/02 ... ruit-gear/

deater

Post by deater »

Feel free to follow along, but I'm only able to work on the project as time permits, so it might not be totally done for months at least. Working off a completely done project like the one you mentioned might be a better bet.

My project is fairly modular and hopefully well documented, and the github tree includes all the documentation as well as the gerber files for the PCBs if anyone wants to make their own. The primary downside is the cost, this has turned out to be a fairly expensive project. You don't notice it as much when you buy the parts gradually but it would be pretty shocking to have to buy all the parts at once.

GVeers

Post by GVeers »

Cool, thanks for the reply. To me cost is less important than the time investment, although I have no doubt there is a bit of sticker shock once you tally it up. :)

I think I'll go with Phil's because even though I would love to have a keypad and more faithful readouts, its primary purpose will be as a wall clock so size is a pretty big consideration.

deater

Post by deater »

For those following along, there are updated pictures and videos on this project at the website:

Most notable is the flux capacitor. It is made using some adafruit parts (waterproof case, transparent heat-shrink tubing).

Also I am using one of the mcp4725 DAC breakout boards to drive the analog panel meter
fc_finished.jpg
fc_finished.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Last edited by deater on Tue May 06, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deater

Post by deater »

Another update, this time I have the keypad together, although it doesn't look as nice as I'd hoped.
It does use 5 of the lit LED buttons purchases from adafruit though.

tc_keypad_done.jpg
tc_keypad_done.jpg (140.11 KiB) Viewed 538 times
tc_after_keypad.jpg
tc_after_keypad.jpg (158.34 KiB) Viewed 538 times

deater

Post by deater »

Work continues with a poorly constructed case.
time_circuit_3_cropped.jpg
time_circuit_3_cropped.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Need to get PCBs made up for the power meters and spedometer.

onehorse

Post by onehorse »

Maybe something more compact like this https://github.com/kriswiner/HT16K33_Display_Driver would make your project easier.

stefi01

Post by stefi01 »

well i have all the parts, few hundred bucks at that and looks impressive but a better form of a wiring diagram in pdf or something would be nice and noticed the sketch looks in between arduino and raspberry so trying to figure out where to get the #include files, i would have thought with 21st October 2015 arriving tomorrow that this project will be popular again throughout the net. have you thought about uploading the complete sketch via google drive with an added link to download.cant wait to see the final finished product, will be awesome.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”