Dual Adafruit 1.2" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display Issue

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nealz

Dual Adafruit 1.2" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display Issue

Post by nealz »

I am using two Adafruit 1.2" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display w/I2C Backpack - Green/Red with a Raspberry Pi. I am running Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #160 PREEMPT Mon Sep 17 23:18:42 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux (Occidentals)

They work great . However every few days I a get a error such as this with my code as below.

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/Emon/emon-led-dual.py", line 236, in <module>
    ledgreen.write_display()
  File "/home/pi/Emon/i2c7segment.py", line 78, in write_display
    self.bus.write_i2c_block_data(self.address, 0x00, [self.disp[0], 0x00, self.disp[1], 0x00, self.disp[4], 0x00, self.disp[2], 0x00, self.disp[3], 0x00])
IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error
I suspect it is a timing issue if I write to one display and then write to the very other soon after.I have added a sleep(.1) seconds to see if the problem goes away.

Has any one else ran into this issue?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Dual Adafruit 1.2" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display Issue

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Shouldn't be a timing issue - the I2C driver will take care of properly sequencing writes to the two displays.

I'm going to guess that it's an intermittent connection issue - either in the wiring or in the soldering. If you post clear, detailed pictures, we can have a look

jjinux

Re: Dual Adafruit 1.2" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display Issue

Post by jjinux »

This sounds like a similar problem I had. It's because the code I was using was hardcoded to use bus 0 when sometimes you need to use bus 1. Check out my comment on the issue tracker:

https://code.google.com/p/i2c7segment/i ... il?id=2#c6

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”