Do I have a defective LCD panel?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JDHarper

Do I have a defective LCD panel?

Post by JDHarper »

I bought a 16x2 LCD panel and I'm trying to figure out if this is user error or a defective panel.

It lights up, but when I twist the pentiometer knob, nothing happens on the screen. I have tried it with a second potentiometer that I had lying around, no effect. When I run the adafruit IP clock python script, I get a single row of blank squares that "blinks" every couple seconds, so it's getting data of some kind but it's not actually displaying it.

I saw some previous threads with similar problems and they were soldering issues. I don't think that it is a soldering issue in this case because I tested all of the connections from the LCD board to the Pi Cobbler with a multimeter.

Did I screw up the soldering/wiring or is this a bad board? Photos of my setup/the problem are here: http://imgur.com/a/BE06L

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Do I have a defective LCD panel?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I think you have the wiring reversed. From what I can see, it doesn't match the wiring diagram in the tutorial - I think you're counting pins from the wrong direction:
The pin all the way to the left on the diagram is Pin 1. Pin numbers increment to the right, up to Pin 16.

JDHarper

Re: Do I have a defective LCD panel?

Post by JDHarper »

Ha, that was exactly it. Thanks for the sanity check!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”