Power up sequence for the 128 X 64 OLED

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
desmoducati

Power up sequence for the 128 X 64 OLED

Post by desmoducati »

I have just purchased your 128 X 32 OLED display ID: 326

I will not be using it on an Arduino.

I have read the SSD1306 data sheet, and am not clear on the power on/off sequence on your breakout board. I will be using 3.3V and SPI. Figure 8-16 and 8-17 in the SSD1306 data sheet indicate that VCC is applied after RES# is pulsed low for a minimum of 3us after Vdd has been applied, however Vcc is not available on your breakout.

Using your breakout is it only necessary to apply Vdd and then pulse RES# in conformance to figures 8-16 and 8-17 and not be concerned with Vcc since it is obviously connected internally?

Thanks,
Brian Fleming

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Power up sequence for the 128 X 64 OLED

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Looking at the library code, I believe you must enable the charge pump with the internal Vcc. After pulsing reset, the library writes a 0x8D and a 0x14. This setting enables the charge pump during DISPLAY ON

desmoducati

Re: Power up sequence for the 128 X 64 OLED

Post by desmoducati »

Thanks. After pulsing RES# low according to the timing diagram, from the Univision Doc. NO: SAS1-B020-B Section 4.4 Actual Application Example, it looks like I send 0xAE to turn display off, then 0x8D and 0x14 to set the charge pump, followed by whatever other configuration might need to be done before sending 0xAF to turn the display on.

Thanks again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”