Mount for Adafruit NeoPixel Ring for Goggles

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JonTorta

Mount for Adafruit NeoPixel Ring for Goggles

Post by JonTorta »

I 3D printed some 50mm inserts for adafruit NeoPixel Ring and Trinket mount for some Steampunk/Mad-scientist LED goggles I was making. The Ring snaps into the insert which also acts as a defuser (printed in White ABS) then it in turn fits into the goggles. Some close tolerances but my printer did a great job of it.
I figure these may be useful for people so I put them up on thingiverse for all to use. There are 2 versions so far, the latest allowed me to wear them over my eyes and not get blinded :)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:187684

They where a big hit! and wanted to share.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Mount for Adafruit NeoPixel Ring for Goggles

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Cool! Thanks for posting :D

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Jon, I don't have access to a 3d printer. Do you have a storefront for me to buy a couple of ring mounts? Thanks. :?:

JonTorta

Post by JonTorta »

Sorry, No.
I just do this for the fun of it and do not sell anything. Anyone with a 3d printer or even a online 3d printer service can print these (shapeways etc). I made these available for people to use so feel free.
You may be able to find a local Maker/3dprinter group or upload and get these made through a internet service? I hear Staples may be even starting to do prints in there stores soon.

johnweythek

Post by johnweythek »

No printer here either but i love ideas for this project and aren't afraid to craft out of scraps i have. Thanks for posting. I hope to be able to look through them (i know, you told me not to adafruit, no lawsuits coming) of course at a dim setting and so far just figured i'd mount them outside any lenses i have, Or black-sugru away any reflections. Great job btw.

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

FWIW, I decided to get the goggle mount printed (I don't have access to a 3d printer) via the internet.

In case anybody else is in the same situation, I found shapeways.com to be much cheaper than ponoko.com. For 4 eyepiece2 mounts and 1 trinket mount, the order I just put in will cost me $35 with 2 day shipping (ground shipping would have been $32). Shapeways claims I will get it by December 31st. :)

Ponoko wanted to charge me $72 with ground shipping and $18 more (i.e. $100) for 2 day shipping, and they wouldn't have mailed the mounts until January 6th. :shock:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”