NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 4.3" Diagonal

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stevenhill70

NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 4.3" Diagonal

Post by stevenhill70 »

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 I ordered an NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display. The order arrived on November 19. I tried to use the display but could not get it to come on. I researched the problem on the Adafruit website where it became clear that the display needed a 1 Amp power supply, the power supply I was using was only a 0.7 Amp so I ordered a 1 Amp power supply from Adafruit the same day. That order came in on 11/25 and I tried the new power supply to no avail. The display does not come on or light up in any way. Per the support forums I have also made sure that I tried both the yellow and white video input cables but still nothing. Is there anything else I should try? Any help would be appreciated.

www.adafruit.com/products/946

michaelmeissner

Re: NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 4.3" Diagonal

Post by michaelmeissner »

Hopefully you did not do what I did with the 1.5" version, of plugging the black wire into the power and the red wire into the ground (actually I discovered that I had mis-wired the breadboard power rails). I smelled the smell of burning electronics, and knew I had just made a $40 mistake. On the replacement version, the connector strap is very fragile, so you probably should plan to stabilize the lcd and electronics, perhaps with a board or cardboard in between the two, and some side rails to make sure something doesn't move. You might want to make sure the connector strap is perfectly seated.

stevenhill70

Post by stevenhill70 »

I didn't have a problem like that. The display I bought only has 3 wires. Two are RCA jacks, apparently for video input and the third kind of looks like an RCA jack at first glance but closer inspection reveals it to be a 2.1mm center-positive DC jack for connection of a power supply. I bought the adafruit recommended power supply but still no luck. Concerned that its just a bad unit.

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

It sounds like it is a bad unit. IIRC, the two RCA jacks are used in third party car backup monitors, where you connect the backup video camera to the first RCA plug, and the tv set for playing movies to the second. If there is a signal on the first RCA connector it is put on the screen, but if there isn't a signal, the second RCA input is used (to give priority to the backup function when needed). The car displays tend to be spec'ed for 12v, since that is the normal power available in a car situation.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement monitor

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”