Issue with pocket inverter ID # 317

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
anar.andune

Issue with pocket inverter ID # 317

Post by anar.andune »

I purchased an EL starter kit along with EL tape. I built a project with one 6" section of EL wire and two 6" sections of EL tape wired in parallel to the inverter. The inverter powers the EL wire and tape brightly, but every time I move the project, the inverter shuts itself off. Since the inverter is rated for 1ft to 2.5 meters of EL wire, I would think it can power the setup I have reliably: 11 nF/m of EL wire for 6in + 2 * (4* 11 nF/m of EL tape for 6 in) is approximately 15 nF capacitance, which is within the capacitance limits of 1ft to 2.5 meters of EL wire. Are there resistance factors as well that require at least 1ft in series of EL wire to stabilize the load? Otherwise, are there any other reasons this setup would not work? If not, then the issue seems to be the inverter.
Thank you

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Issue with pocket inverter ID # 317

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Not sure what you mean by "every time you move it"? That sounds like a loose connection to me.

anar.andune

Post by anar.andune »

Sorry, I should have been more precise: I pick the project up and move it around, and the wire will usually stay lit for a little while. Some where in the midst of rotating the project (slowly [~5 deg/sec] or quickly, it doesn't matter), the inverter will shut off, often in the same orientation as previous tests.

I'll check the soldered connections in the pocket inverter to see if I find any loose connections.

Thank you

anar.andune

Post by anar.andune »

I checked for loose connections, but did not find any. Using my multimeter, I verified that I have a consistent 3V DC input to the inverter. Now the inverter will not turn on at all.

adafruit_support_rick

Did you check the connections to the tape to see if any of those are loose?
Does the inverter make any noise?

anar.andune

Post by anar.andune »

The connections to the tape appear to be tightly connected. The wires running to the tape seem weak just after the solder points inside the inverter (one of the strands is broken, but the other strands in that wire are still attached), but the solder points themselves are fine.

The inverter does not make any noise, and the red light does not turn on when the switch is pressed.

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a new inverter.

Mondfrans

Post by Mondfrans »

Hello,

I bought two EL wire starter kits. One inverter broke in the first week--the wires came out of the coupling. The second inverter just stopped working after two weeks. I bought a third inverter and it works fine. Is there any way to get a refund for the first two? I don't want to keep buying inverters. :roll:

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange a refund.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”