did I destroy my NeoPixel strip before I got to use it

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
grandvizier

did I destroy my NeoPixel strip before I got to use it

Post by grandvizier »

I just ordered a 2m NeoPixel strip and all the components to get it running. I got everything wired up and started the strandtest. (see wiring pictures).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy9vty5r94j9u ... .41.10.jpg
2013-12-12 21.41.10.jpg
2013-12-12 21.41.10.jpg (911.75 KiB) Viewed 211 times
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6czjqu92ad4o ... .41.36.jpg
2013-12-12 21.41.36.jpg
2013-12-12 21.41.36.jpg (756.31 KiB) Viewed 211 times
After it started, only about half of the strip was lit up, and most of the pixels were white/purple-ish, not an interesting pattern like the code implied. My first thought was that there was a glitch in the code, so I started making modifications there to simplify the cause of the issue. Then I thought it might have been a connection to 2.1mm jack so I started fiddling with the wires there. Things started to get a little better, but still not functioning as expected.

It was after a little while that I noticed I was powered up not with the 5v/4A adapter that I bought for this, but rather the 9v/1A adapter for the arduino. I made the change, but now I'm not even getting the faintest flicker with the 5v power supply. There is still some flickering and lighting up that happens with the 9v but nothing like it's suppose to be.

So is my NeoPixel strip totally shot? Or is there still something else that I might not have configured correctly that will save the day?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: did I destroy my NeoPixel strip before I got to use it

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Powering these with 9v will definitely cause damage to the strip. They do not tolerate much above 5.5v.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”